Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sun bonnets  (Read 28062 times)
BarbaraSmith
Scribblor Infinitus

I'm clueless, but competitive! ~ Trish Roseburg

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2007, 11:56:03 AM »

It's very helpful! I just need to read it, and probably break it out into a numbered list so it makes sense to my need for something linear.  Grin I understand - I've made things that very way, and it's more trouble to describe than it is to DO!  Grin

Hey, did I understand you (and Glenna Jo) that you're making sunbonnets for sale? If that's the case, I'll contemplate sending you fabric and asking you to make me one. Unless ya'll have cool fabric...  Grin

LOL,
B.

Auntie B says: "I may look like Aunt Pitty-Pat, but I have the soul of Belle Watling," and "Since I can't be a good example, then I'm just gonna have to be a horrible warning."
Carolann Schmitt
Senior Research
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2007, 01:14:10 PM »

My fault, Glenna. I transposed slat and corded when I first read the paragraph about curtains.  Blame it on old eyes and reading glasses that desperately need a new prescription. Sorry about that.  Smiley

Carolann

« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 06:07:24 PM by Carolann Schmitt » Logged

Carolann Schmitt - Only a historian understands how much you need to know in order to recognize how much you don't know. - Elizabeth Ann Coleman
cschmitt@genteelarts.com
www.genteelarts.com
Glenna Jo Christen
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2007, 02:37:29 PM »

Hey, did I understand you (and Glenna Jo) that you're making sunbonnets for sale? If that's the case, I'll contemplate sending you fabric and asking you to make me one. Unless ya'll have cool fabric...  Grin

I think I have some pretty cool fabric, both literally and figuratively, but if you have some particular fabric you want to use. I can adjust the price accordingly. Contact me off the list for details. FYI, I make slat bonnets rather than corded bonnets. I can't make myself make my bonnets by machine and I also found I can't make myself take the longer running stitches they used to sewn in the cords on corded bonnets. Combine that with my somewhat compulsive nature (who me?? Wink ) I tend to add more rows of cords than is probably necessary. The end result is a very lovely bonnet, but it takes me way too many hours and a serious flare up of carpel tunnel syndrome by the time I'm done. :-(

Speaking of making corded bonnets Bevin, you may find it much easier to lay each cord between the two layers and stitch it in place. If you do it by machine, just use a zipper foot to get it close enough. It will be much easier than trying to pull each cord through the channels.

Glenna Jo Christen
bevinmacrae
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2007, 02:48:29 PM »

I did try that at first. Thought it would be easier. But the end result was less than straight for me. All those layers were difficult to juggle, too.

Barb if you would like a corded bonnet made, I'd be willing to make one, too. Only I like to use the machine for the channels. I don't think I'd have the patience to sew them by hand! And I like results fast!
~bevin

Bevin MacRae

"Inspiring excitement and curiosity about the past!"
www.gcv.org
BarbaraSmith
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2007, 03:17:43 PM »

Bevin, oh me too!  Grin And I don't mind machine sewn.

Glenna Jo, that's too funny. Sounds like your stitch length selector is set on "teensy". Maybe you could get that adjusted? Chiropractic, maybe?  Grin

Hee hee hee,
B.

Auntie B says: "I may look like Aunt Pitty-Pat, but I have the soul of Belle Watling," and "Since I can't be a good example, then I'm just gonna have to be a horrible warning."
BarbaraSmith
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2007, 04:04:57 PM »

I do hope you don't mind me posting this, Elizabeth. I'll take it down if you do.

Girls, I found a freebie slat bonnet pattern online:
http://www.mormontrek.org/Pack/PDF/Slats.pdf

For those of us who like a "recipe" - even for boxed macaroni and cheese.  Grin

Cheers,
B.

Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2007, 04:09:04 PM »

Heh--you do realize that's my own site, right, Barb?

Smiley

Nope, I don't mind one bit.  It's a very "generic" slat bonnet, but simple enough--the whole site is designed to assist folks who are doing a 1 to 5 day Mormon Trail experience, so the focus is on the very most simple forms (still within the realms of "normal") from the 1846-1860 era.  Most folks do either very early stuff (1846-48) or handcart stuff (56-60), and the resources that had been available were really sparse.  The Mormon Trek website was my anniversary present last year. Smiley  I'm trying hard to convince folks that "pioneer" doesn't mean Sponge-Bob PJ pants under a rayon sarong.  Seriously.  For most, it won't be a continuing pursuit, but Sponge-Bob just won't work for any reason.

So, if you're wanting a homemade slat bonnet that's REALLY basic (there are many other period styles that are far, far prettier!), this one can work.  Don't be afraid to mess with the overall width/length to get the curtain/bavolet length you personally need.  This one will just shade the tops of the shoulders--about the shortest possible for the era, really.  You could go longer, easily.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 04:11:29 PM by Elizabeth » Logged

Regards,
Elizabeth
BarbaraSmith
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2007, 04:19:04 PM »

Uh, yeah! But you didn't reference it yourself, so I wasn't sure you wanted me broadcasting it.  Cheesy You know how I am - I'm like a puppy who gets too excited about stuff and keeps messing up the living room floor. No matter how hard you try to keep me in the kitchen, there I am on the beige carpet...  Cheesy

And I love your very basic instructions. For my "Level 1" newbies at Fort Nisqually I find it a great website. Thank you for not being mad that I posted that.  Wink

Huggers,
B.

Trish Hasenmueller
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2007, 06:26:25 AM »

When I copied the Duchess Martin bonnet, I used the Godey's corded bonnet pattern for the brim and back for size (except I made the mistake of making the back bigger) and made the curtain much fuller and squared off the rounded parts.

Trish Hasenmueller
BarbaraSmith
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2007, 12:14:01 PM »

Trish, where do I find that? Is it online somewhere?

Thanks!
Barbara

BarbaraSmith
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2007, 12:38:58 PM »

Okay you corded sunbonnet makers....

Anyone ever used an embroidered sheer? I can imagine this border on the curtain and I love it, but am I being way too farby?

http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/stores_app/Browse_Item_Details.asp?Shopper_id=164911151157241649&Store_id=198&page_id=23&Item_ID=9441

Thoughts?
B.

BarbaraSmith
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2007, 12:53:44 PM »

Or maybe a dimity would be more appropriate?

http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/stores_app/Browse_Item_Details.asp?Shopper_id=164911151157241649&Store_id=198&page_id=23&Item_ID=8035

Cheers,
B.

BarbaraSmith
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2007, 01:00:14 PM »

I swear I'll stop....  Grin

Maybe Leno?
http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/stores_app/Browse_Item_Details.asp?Shopper_id=164911151157241649&Store_id=198&page_id=23&Item_ID=5110

LOL,
B.

Carolann Schmitt
Senior Research
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2007, 01:10:05 PM »

I like the dimity and the leno. I haven't found any documentation for the use of an embroidered fabric. Glenna Jo?

Regards,
Carolann

Carolann Schmitt - Only a historian understands how much you need to know in order to recognize how much you don't know. - Elizabeth Ann Coleman
cschmitt@genteelarts.com
www.genteelarts.com
BarbaraSmith
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2007, 01:13:01 PM »

Okay, I retract the embroidered one.  Grin

My gut leans toward the dimity and leno, too. I don't know if I sheerer fabric is called for, or not. And I don't know how sheer dimity is.

Thanks Carolann!
B.

Chessa_Swing
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2007, 01:22:14 PM »

All those fabrics are really pretty, but I don't the the first one would make a good slat bonnet.  Though the sheer embroidered would look really cool on the bottom of a dress ( you would have to have PERFECT seems...)

I'm probably thinking along the farby lines..... Cheesy
Trish Hasenmueller
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2007, 03:16:17 PM »

Here's a link to a page with the Godey's corded bonnet.  Scroll to links about 2/3 down the page.  It's called September, 1857:  Sunbonnet.

http://www.uvm.edu/~hag/godey/fashion/di.html

Trish Hasenmueller
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 04:57:24 PM by Trish Hasenmueller » Logged
BarbaraSmith
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2007, 03:34:32 PM »

FABULOUS! Thank you so much, Trish!  Grin
B.

Glenna Jo Christen
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2007, 04:23:36 PM »

I like the dimity and the leno. I haven't found any documentation for the use of an embroidered fabric. Glenna Jo?

I'm definitely with you on this one Carolann. I just wish the dimity and leno was cheaper...

Glenna Jo "Tightwad" Christen :->
BarbaraSmith
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2007, 04:27:27 PM »

Which one do you like better, the leno or the dimity? I have no knowledge of either fabric, I'm just looking at them online.

And, if  don't need more than a yard or two, it's not that bad a price to me. Now a dress out of that might be bad. But for just a bonnet, I think I can do that.  Grin

Cheers,
B.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: