Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cravats  (Read 43674 times)
Vicki
« Reply #100 on: September 18, 2009, 02:03:15 PM »

Dredging up an old thread here......

Is silk taffeta the fabric of choice for a cravat, then?  And is any color 'ok'?  I really like the irridescent shot silk taffetas from Thailand, but then I started wondering if maybe a solid taffeta might be better. Or is either choice ok?  I know they had shot silk in the period, but was it used for cravats?

I was also curious about silk twill....ok or not ok? 

And I'm assuming a small silk taffeta stripe would probably be ok?  Something like this:  http://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/catalog_itemdetail.aspx?ItmID=LL070

I'm planning on doing a long (6ft) strip of fabric for the cravat, and my husband will be tying it himself.  He is in his 40's, and we're portraying 1855, so I think he's going for a 'wider' tie.  I was planning on cutting the strip on the bias, probably piecing it, and turning the edges under.  However, when I was at james Country the other day, they had cravats that were cut on the straight, folded lengthwise and sewn along the lengthwise edge, and turned inside out (or rightside out, hopefully you know what I mean.)  Were those ok or not ok?  Huh

Ms. Jean
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #101 on: September 18, 2009, 06:51:36 PM »

I love that fabric!!!! Shocked

I expect the stitch&turn vote will be NO.

Keep in mind, I'm the Expert Soccer Mom.   Grin

Yours

Jean
Route 66

Ms. Jean
Route 66
Vicki
« Reply #102 on: September 18, 2009, 07:15:50 PM »

Hi Ms. Jean!  Cheesy Grin
Hey- at least your the expert something!!

Yep- I'm liking the both the stripes AND the shot taffetas.  I hope some expert replies soon so I can figure this out...... Roll Eyes
Hilda Manriquez
« Reply #103 on: November 20, 2009, 04:18:45 PM »

So...is silk the only fabric to use for cravats ?
CWLady86
« Reply #104 on: February 05, 2010, 09:05:29 AM »

I personally have seen some reproduction cravats made out of polished cotton as well with the buckle on them.
Carolann Schmitt
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #105 on: February 05, 2010, 09:29:19 AM »

I own or have examined original cravats made from silk taffeta, silk satin, silk broadcloth, very fine plain cotton, very fine printed cotton (the last two types similar to a superior quality lawn) and very fine silk/wool plaid. 

I do not have any primary sources for cravats made from polished cotton. During the mid-19th century polished or glazed cotton was a lining fabric; it's use for a cravat is not consistent with common practice during the period. I would be very interested in the seller's source for its use.

Regards,
Carolann

Carolann Schmitt - Only a historian understands how much you need to know in order to recognize how much you don't know. - Elizabeth Ann Coleman
cschmitt@genteelarts.com
www.genteelarts.com
Jennifer Hill
« Reply #106 on: February 05, 2010, 03:19:50 PM »

It would be too cool to get hubby into a cravat.  I truly doubt it will happen, however.  The closest he comes to the '40s is the 80's & his fav rifle.  boo hoo
Jennifer
annmaddox
« Reply #107 on: June 22, 2010, 06:39:24 AM »

Was the question of cutting a pretied bow on the bias or straight answered?
I could be a numb-skull today, but I've searched the forum & can't find an answer.
Some of the ones on the Corner Clothiers site have a bias band & straight cut bow, is that the norm?

Just trying to get this one right b/c I have VERY little fabric for the cravat..........
THanks ya'll!
Carolann Schmitt
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #108 on: June 22, 2010, 07:09:40 AM »

Hi, Ann -

I've found:
- Straight bow, straight band
- Bias bow, straight band
- Straight bow, bias band
- Bias bow, bias band - both cut on the same bias grain
- Bias bow, bias band - cut on opposite bias grains
Any of these combinations can be attached to a foundation cut on the straight or the bias grain. The determining factors seem to be visual appeal and quantity of available fabric.

Enough choices?  Grin

Carolann

Carolann Schmitt - Only a historian understands how much you need to know in order to recognize how much you don't know. - Elizabeth Ann Coleman
cschmitt@genteelarts.com
www.genteelarts.com
annmaddox
« Reply #109 on: June 22, 2010, 07:33:42 AM »

So in the words of Tim Gunn, "Make it work!"

Got it!

Thanks so much!
Brooke Whitaker
Scribblor Infinitus

♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦Me♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦

« Reply #110 on: August 02, 2012, 02:41:39 PM »

Sorry to be dragging up an old thread....but frankly I'm a bit confused....lol I've had a hard core reenactor commission a couple cravats. He wants NON-pretied ones. So just to be clear will I be making these in a tube then turning them? Also do they need to be cut on the straight of grain or the bias?

Thanks. Smiley

Cool-Born a Yankee, but a Rebel by choice- Cool
                      -Brooke-

My blog: http://stitchesofthepast.blogspot.com/
My Etsy Shop:  www.stitchesofthepast.etsy.com
martyn fedhead
« Reply #111 on: April 01, 2013, 06:59:06 AM »

This is a interesting 1840,s pre tied example from the V&A ( Victoria and Albert museum ,UK) .
http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O139760/cravat-unknown/

Also reading this thread would make you think this forum only covered the 1860,s not  a slightly broader time period .  
Chip
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #112 on: April 01, 2013, 09:47:00 AM »

Also reading this thread would make you think this forum only covered the 1860,s not  a slightly broader time period .  

The U.S. Civil War is very simply going to attract more cumulative attention than any other era simply due to the enormous impact it had on everyday life in America.

martyn fedhead
« Reply #113 on: April 02, 2013, 02:50:14 PM »

The U.S. Civil War is very simply going to attract more cumulative attention than any other era simply due to the enormous impact it had on everyday life in America.

But Sir that is not a answer to my point , if a question is posed then it should be automatically presumed the a date of 1861 is applied as I have pointed out earlier this wonderful forum covers a wider timeline . 
Micaila
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #114 on: April 02, 2013, 04:25:32 PM »

I believe the issue here is that those who have commented above study early 1860s.
This means that they have knowledge about the topic for those dates, and have kindly provided that information.
Until, and unless, someone familiar with the 1840s and 1850s provides information from those periods, what you will find in this thread is 1860s information.
There are simply more people studying 1860s, and providing information on this forum, for those years.
Particularly regarding menswear  Wink
It just means that we may not have an expert on 1840s or 1850s cravats, or that he or she may not have seen this post, or felt like adding to the discussion. If you have additional information to add on this topic we would all appreciate your contributions.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: