Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sontag Pattern?  (Read 1947 times)
Carol Boomershine
« on: October 01, 2007, 02:17:01 PM »

I'm not sure if this has already been discussed, but has anyone found a source for a knitted sontag ("bosom buddy") pattern besides the one in Kathleen York's books?  Your discussion of winter wear has gotten me thinking that a new one would be a great fall/winter knitting project!  Thanks in advance,
     Carol Boomershine (in east-central Iowa, where it gets very cold and snowy!) Cheesy
Carol Boomershine
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 02:38:25 PM »

Oops!  I just did a search of past posts and discovered a whole thread on my very topic!  Best to look before posting, I guess!  But, is it possible to make a sontag more like a front-opening vest, rather than the shawl-like creature I already have?  Any thoughts would be most welcome.
     Gratefully,
     Carol Boomershine Roll Eyes
Micaila
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 02:39:36 PM »

Carol,

If you go to http://www.raggedsoldier.com/, under Needlework, Necessities, and Novelties there should be a link to a Bosom Buddy or Sontag pattern.

~Micaila

Malinda Byrne
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 02:43:06 PM »

There's one on the Ragged Soldier site.  http://www.raggedsoldier.com/  Along the side go to Needlework Necessities and Novelties.  You'll find the link there.  I've made it up twice, now.  For myself, I found I needed to add in more blocks and knit a few more rows.  I am a bit "fluffy". 
Malinda

Oops, Micaila and I were typing at the same time. 

Malinda Byrne
Carol Boomershine
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 02:46:48 PM »

Thanks, both of you - already visited the sutlery- but it's almost the same one I have.  My objection is to the wrap-around style, or is that the only way they were made?
     Carol
Colleen
Senior Research
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 06:02:02 PM »

Thanks, both of you - already visited the sutlery- but it's almost the same one I have.  My objection is to the wrap-around style, or is that the only way they were made?
     Carol

That is the most predominant pattern, and the one most seen in period magazines, books, and even images. However, there is another pattern that shows one that buttons up the front, and yet falls loose on the sides...  I don't have it handy right now, but I would suggest joining the cwneedleworkers yahoo group, as we have it archived there, and have discussed it as well.

Colleen Formby

Colleen Formby
www.agsas.org
Maria
Dedicated Scribbler

Gibson Ranch Reenactment 2011, Sacramento CA

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 07:25:31 PM »

And in case you're like me don't know how to knit, here is a one on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/Repro-Dress-Sontag-or-Bosom-Buddy-4-Civil-War-Reenactor_W0QQitemZ110175916487QQihZ001QQcategoryZ36041QQtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Maria Huerta, Docent
Sutter's Fort State Historic Park
Sacramento, CA
Carol Boomershine
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 08:13:38 PM »

Thanks, Colleen - that's more what I had in mind.  I love the warmth, and the way one's arms are free, but it's the look I don't care for.  I'll try the needleworkers group.
   Gratefully,
   Carol
P.S. to Maria - I do, in fact, know how to knit, but thanks for the info!
bevinmacrae
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 08:47:20 AM »

What about a quilted one in a vest ish shape?
Bevin

Bevin MacRae

"Inspiring excitement and curiosity about the past!"
www.gcv.org
Carol Boomershine
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2007, 02:31:30 PM »

Bevin, what a good idea!  I'm also a quilter - that fiber thing, again!!
    Carol Grin
Colleen
Senior Research
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2007, 02:57:07 PM »

Thanks, Colleen - that's more what I had in mind.  I love the warmth, and the way one's arms are free, but it's the look I don't care for.  I'll try the needleworkers group.
   Gratefully,
   Carol
P.S. to Maria - I do, in fact, know how to knit, but thanks for the info!

I know Polly would not mind my posting an image of her sontag that is based on this pattern: http://www.geocities.com/col90/NewPicture.JPG.  This is based on a pattern from Petersons', in Feb. 1859.  Here is the original picture: http://www.geocities.com/col90/sontag.JPG.

As mentioned before, we have discussed and helped to translate the pattern on the cwneedleworkers list.

Colleen Formby

Colleen Formby
www.agsas.org
Carol Boomershine
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 10:19:51 AM »

Thanks for the reference - I'll post a picture when I finally get one finished.  Maybe I'll figure out a way to combine the features of all of them - I can always claim to be a "fashion-forward" woman!!
    Carol
K Krewer
Senior Research
Scribblor Infinitus

Madame Goldschmidt

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 11:37:57 AM »

Oh, good !  Then you can start mine!

tee hee........ Grin

K Krewer
Micaila
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 08:00:54 PM »

Carol,

I just found this one, http://tinyurl.com/yo26o8. Is this more what you had in mind?

~Micaila

iphigenia
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2007, 10:09:19 PM »

That's super-nifty!

I wish I could knit.   Embarrassed
Colleen
Senior Research
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2007, 05:48:16 AM »

Carol,

I just found this one, http://tinyurl.com/yo26o8. Is this more what you had in mind?

~Micaila

++

That's great, but if you're going this direction, don't call it a sontag..this is a "spencer", a sweater type garment (although fitted, not loose)....we're still into knitted goods to keep the body warm, but this is a whole different category.

Colleen Formby

Colleen Formby
www.agsas.org
Carol Boomershine
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2007, 01:55:46 PM »

Micaila - I think I have that very one in a book of several years' worth of Peterson's magazines (the title escapes me...), and I don't care if we call it a sontag, a waistcoat, or a porkpie hat  Grin, if it will serve the purpose, I'll make it!!
    Carol
P.S. To K - now that I think on it, isn't mine the one you made?? Huh  (If I figure it out, I might just get two done!) Cheesy
sunnygirlva20
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2007, 03:57:04 PM »

Micaila - I think I have that very one in a book of several years' worth of Peterson's magazines (the title escapes me...), and I don't care if we call it a sontag, a waistcoat, or a porkpie hat  Grin, if it will serve the purpose, I'll make it!!
    Carol
P.S. To K - now that I think on it, isn't mine the one you made?? Huh  (If I figure it out, I might just get two done!) Cheesy

"Civil War Ladies: Fashion and Needle-Arts of the Early 1860's". Is that the book your talking about? It's pinky purple. I have it too and I believe it has a waist coat or spencer or whatever it is called in it.

Jeni
Anna Worden Bauersmith
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2007, 05:55:39 AM »

When you go to the above link to the NYPL, click on the details below the image. Then click on "sweaters". There are several interesting & warm knitted items there.

Anna

Anna Worden Bauersmith
http://annaworden.wordpress.com/
Quilted Hood Pattern - Available on Etsy
Fanciful Utility: Victorian Sewing Cases and Needle-books
From Field to Fashion: The Straw Bonnet
Colleen
Senior Research
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2007, 05:40:07 PM »

When you go to the above link to the NYPL, click on the details below the image. Then click on "sweaters". There are several interesting & warm knitted items there.

Anna

Very nice...and SOME of them are even pre-1865.

Colleen Formby

Colleen Formby
www.agsas.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: