Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: corded corsets  (Read 1532 times)
Amanda L
« on: September 10, 2007, 06:18:12 PM »

I am looking to make myself a corded corset for this years Dickens event.
Most of the how-tos I am coming across are renaissance or regency, many using hemp as cording.
I would like to use cotton as my cording. What type should I use.
Also I don't want to use a steel busk, do buttons work well or should I use hooks and eyes (or eyelet holes)

Amanda L in Toddler Doom
Anna G.
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 06:38:27 PM »

For cording, I would definitely recommend the Sugar N' Cream cotton crochet stuff. it has good body and definitely stands up to wear.  Smiley

-Anna

Stormi Souter
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2007, 02:15:19 PM »

A friend of mine made a lovely corded maternity corset. If I remember correctly her's buttons up the front and laces in the back.
  I second the recommendation for the crochet cord. That's what I used (doubled up) to make my neice her little girl stays.

Stormi Souter
www.whynotthen.com
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2007, 03:47:25 PM »

For Ren or Regency, hemp makes a lot of sense--it's a predominant fiber.  By mid-century, cotton has largely taken over, though either one might be plausible. Certainly, cotton is very easy to get hold of right now. Smiley  A corded corset won't give "fashion" shaping, and thus you can get away with using buttons, or hooks, or a full separating busk.  Of the three, the separating busk allows the largest degree of "pull" or shaping.  If you use buttons, sew them on with narrow tapes instead of thread (you then stitch the tapes flat on the inside), or with multiple strands of waxed threads to form a strong shank.  Hooks will not allow for much strain; space them close!

(The good news is this: you can try a method you think you'll like.  If you don't end up liking it, whack the center fronts off entirely, and sew on new ones.  Corsets are remarkably forgiving to this sort of Frankensteining!)

Regards,
Elizabeth
Amanda L
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2007, 04:54:58 PM »

thanks for the comments!
I have some of that sugar and cream stuff already!

I was thinking hooks and eyelets might be flatter under the dress than buttons. I was thinking the hooks would be spaced an inch apart, or maybe 3/4?
If I was to use buttons, what size and how far apart?

and yes this is maternity, otherwise I would wear the corset from last year.

what type of fabric should I use? I am thinking that coutil wouldn't be necessary? but muslin too thin? nice heavier quilting cotton?
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 04:21:17 AM »

I'd go with something like a cotton sateen--the weave is quite stable, but lightweight overall.  A "bottom weight" twill without lycra could also work, but will be heavier.

The hooks may need closer spacing--every 1/2" to 3/4" or so.  Buttons, I wouldn't go much more than 1/2" gaps between the buttons themselves (which may space things out to every 3/4" or 1", total)

Regards,
Elizabeth
Vaughne Hansen
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 05:04:02 AM »

Would any of the Simplicity patterns work as a corded corset?  I ask because I think I have one of each size and number.  Can never resist the 99 cent sale whether or not I actually plan to make the garment.

--Vaughne
Ms. Jean
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 05:10:00 AM »

If you are interseted in drafting the pattern, you can try this:

http://www.tudorlinks.com/treasury/articles/1853stays.html

Somewhat early, but comfortable!

Ms. Jean
Route 66
Amanda L
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 09:08:18 AM »

I have my pattern all made up, based it on last years corset which is based on the simplicity gusseted pattern.
this is an illustration I drew

Now I just need to figgure out the directions my cording should be going.

I have spent the last week browsing google patent search for interesting maternity and nursing corsets (most from the 80's but....)
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 09:41:27 AM »

Amanda, that looks good.

Vertical cording will stablize the fabric up and down; slanted or horizontal cording can reinforce areas where you want a "shelf"--such as across the bottom of the bust gussets.

Depending on how you tend to carry, a corset that's actually fairly low on the hip/abdomen will help cup and lift the Bump.  I tend to carry Looooooooow, and to get that cupping/lifting, the corset would need to rest in my lap when sitting--cupped under the Bump.  It's not supposed to constrict, though.

Regards,
Elizabeth
Amanda L
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 09:54:43 AM »

well this is me at 24 weeks from last pregnancy
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a87/amandalady/baby/7f38eefb.jpg
this pregnancy hasn't been dated yet as I go for my first midwife appointment tomorrow, and the whole breastfeeding thing. so that is a close guess. adding in for the fact the second one is showing a lot sooner than the first.
Amanda L
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2007, 09:54:01 AM »

bringing my post back up.
I am working on this corset right now.
So far I have:
stitched the cording channels in the gussets
corded the gussets.
Inserted the gussets into the lining.
and now I am wondering if I should have done it in a different manner as there is a lot of bulk, as the cording goes into the seam allowance.
What can I say? I learn by doing and this is the first corded corset I have ever done!

I am thinking of trying to trim out some of the cording from the seam allowance to reduce the bulk!

anyone got some "been there, did that" for me?

I feel like such a n00b.
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2007, 05:50:14 PM »

Well, you're a CUTE noob, anyhow. Smiley

Yes, if you can trim the cording out of the seam allowances, you'll have an easier time of things.  Plan to make those lacing gussets tall enough to accomodate your anticipated belly, because you can always just lace the tops a bit more snug until you need the expansion.

Regards,
Elizabeth
Amanda L
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2007, 06:11:12 PM »

well, thanks! I just realized I had sewn the bust gussets all the way in! I need to take out some of that stitching so I can have nursing access!
the front lacing openings start at the bottom of the bust gussets, that should be high enough! now the worry is if they are too high! oh well, life is so dull if you never learn anything!
Amanda L
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 07:33:10 PM »

I am sharing my mostly finished corset. I didn't finish the nursing gusset fastening, or the strap fastening so there are safety pins.

more info like construction details are posted on livejournal here:
http://community.livejournal.com/corsetmakers/1223797.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: