Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Consumption of Raw Veggies  (Read 1150 times)
Elaine Kessinger
Veteran Scribbler

« on: October 17, 2017, 12:51:23 PM »

I am putting together a bill of fare for a weekend event coming up next spring. For the mid-day meal, I'd like participants to be able to take the meal "on the go." 
I would like to offer a veggie or two, but in looking through cookbooks, I'm not seeing any reference to raw veggies. I've tried "raw vegetable" in GoogleBooks with parameters set to 1800-1870...and a few medical texts are warning against under-cooked veggies (except salads.)

So, beloved Hive Mind, can you please help with documented sources of vegetables eaten raw or warnings against raw veggies?

Again, I don't want salads, slaws, or pickles... something that needs dressed. I am hoping for a "wash and eat" or "wash, peel, and eat" items.

Thank you very much. :-)

Micaila
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 06:03:59 PM »

https://books.google.com/books?id=AKcpKYLXd38C&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_atb#v=onepage&q&f=false

What to Eat, and how to Cook it: Containing Over One Thousand Receipts
  By Pierre Blot 1863

Sauce for Raw vegetables.- Some persons like to eat raw vegetables; the following sauce may be used in eating them; it certainly improves the taste;
Boil an egg hard, take the yolk and pound it, mix it well with two tablespoonfuls of sweet oil, one of vinegar, salt, pepper, and a teaspoonful of chopped parsley; a little mustard may be added. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: