Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quick-ish demonstrations?  (Read 3330 times)
Mrs Johnson
Frequent Scribbler

« on: July 28, 2017, 07:10:35 AM »

I've just started a volunteer opportunity... and it's whatever I want to do.  However, I have no idea what types of programs to do!  It's a site that has just recently begun doing tours and they want to add a living history element... it's 100% outdoors.

They need to be something that I can do by myself, or with the help of my 9yo daughter. 

I'm also throwing around the idea of doing a picnic, or a birthday party, talking about the clothing (differences between 1840's, 1850's 1860's?).  Years ago they did have a guy that did the different coffee substitutes during the ACW.

Oh!  and it's 1840-1865.

~ Jennifer
EKorsmo
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 08:02:40 AM »

Children's games? Dances can be hard solo, but I tend to like participatory activities like that. Are there any outdoor chores that visitors could help you with? My site has a couple of tin watering cans, which are popular with younger visitors (and help keep our kitchen garden watered through the dry summer). If you have any sort of craft apprpriate to the era and site, visitors also seem to love seeing things made by hand (brooms, shirts, jam-- seeing someone make it is fascinating).

Maggie Koenig
Research
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 04:00:29 PM »

You'll drive yourself less crazy if you concentrate on something that is an ongoing rather than trying to work up a short speech or repetitive based thing.  You'll also be a lot happier if you go with an activity you enjoy or are interested in. 

Since its outdoors think of things that happened outside.  Laundry, gardening, games, handicrafts that you take outside on a nice day, drawing, nature exploration, exercises and that sort of thing.  Cooking can be good and the fruits of your labor become lunch or dinner.

Maggie Koenig
Gettysburg, PA

"If you can't make it good, you can at least make it shiny!"
Mrs Johnson
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 07:08:05 AM »

I was thinking of doing 1 thing per month, probably just on saturdays.  maybe a few days during the week once a month for school groups.

~ Jennifer
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: