Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Frock coat alteration  (Read 4094 times)
Robin C
Developing Scribbler

« on: July 02, 2017, 06:58:25 PM »

I have been ask to alter a chaplains frock coat.  It fits pretty good excepting for the shoulders. The shoulder seams hang down about 2 inches.  When I reset the sleeves, it will make them to short.  There is no amount of hem that could lengthen the sleeves.  Question is would it be correct to add a velvet cuff? 
Joseph Stevens
Dedicated Scribbler

Baby sister and I, Cheadle Lake, May 2012

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 12:15:52 PM »

I have been ask to alter a chaplains frock coat.  It fits pretty good excepting for the shoulders. The shoulder seams hang down about 2 inches.  When I reset the sleeves, it will make them to short.  There is no amount of hem that could lengthen the sleeves.  Question is would it be correct to add a velvet cuff? 

According to the Revised Regulations for the Army of the United States (1861), only officers holding the Brigadier General or higher were authorized to wear frock coats with velvet cuffs.

McClellan defined the "regulation" uniform for chaplains in 1861:

General Orders 102 November 25, 1861

III--In time of actual field service, officers of cavalry, artillery, and infantry are permitted to wear the light blue overcoat prescribed for enlisted men of the mounted corps.
IV--The uniform of chaplains of the army will be a plain black frock coat with standing collar, and one row of nine black buttons; plain black pantaloons; black felt hat, or army forage cap, without ornament. On occasions of ceremony, a plain chapeau de bras may be worn.
BY COMMAND OF MAJOR GENERAL MCCLELLAN

You could probably have quite the discussion about regulation vs. non-regulation uniforms and all the many variations one can find and document. However, that's really not a scope of discussion for this board. As to whether or not a velvet cuff would be appropriate, you're better off seeking that advice from a place like the Authentic Campaigner, which exist for discussion of military-related items.

Joseph Stevens

"Oh, I like tedious, practical subjects. What I don't like are tedious, practical people." -Oscar Wilde; An Ideal Husband
Ms. Jean
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 04:34:06 PM »

Robin, how about a cuff of wool fabric as close to the coat's wool as possible?

A modern dry cleaner or tuxedo rental shop may have black wool cut from pants legs during hemming.

There may be a short piece of black wool on Fashion Fabrics any extra will have many uses for LH.

https://www.fashionfabricsclub.com/c2224_discount-fabrics-pieces-5-yards-and-under?pageSize=15&refinementIds=4096669%3B4096748

Hhhmm, nothing perfect in the short cuts, perhaps the black/smoke would work?

HTH, Jean

(Edited to add the FFC link.)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 04:37:17 PM by Ms. Jean » Logged

Ms. Jean
Route 66
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: