Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fabric checking (please save me from myself)  (Read 4603 times)
Sarah Olson
New Scribbler

« on: May 03, 2017, 07:23:39 AM »

Cotton print for an early-to-mid 60's dress. This would be a 6" square, so about a 1" repeat. I'm about 50/50 on hoping that it's wrong because I do not need to buy fabric for another project, and hoping it's totally fine because I really really like it. So what's wrong with it? Too early? Too late? Not appropriate for a dress (better for, I don't know...a man's shirt?). Help my willpower & eye training out!

https://goo.gl/photos/SUSroX8PkXgvrERr5

She was enveloped by her clothes as if by the delicate, distilled apparatus of an entire civilization ~Marcel Proust
Sue Leurgans
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 02:22:26 PM »

Not an expert but it makes me think of the 1930's prints.

Sue Leurgans
AKA Miss Lawrence
"The secret of happiness is something to do" - John Burroughs
Jessamyn
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 02:30:34 PM »

I'll save you! ;-) It does seem later. I could see this pattern being 19th century, but that colorway really doesn't say Civil War-era calico. The lack of contrast between motifs and background, that slightly washed-out green on beige -- it just doesn't feel like the '60s aesthetic for calicoes. It also feels like a very small scale for that type of motif; I'd expect a strong geometric element like the double rings to be closer to an inch across.
Sarah Olson
New Scribbler

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 05:44:42 AM »

Not all heroes wear capes.  Grin

Thanks, you guys!

She was enveloped by her clothes as if by the delicate, distilled apparatus of an entire civilization ~Marcel Proust
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: