Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bathing Costume Questions  (Read 694 times)
BetsyConnolly
Veteran Scribbler

« on: February 01, 2017, 09:04:53 PM »

I'm scheduled to attend Jessica Craig's event at Cape May in September. As such, I need a bathing costume. I'm confident I can walk myself through process of modifying my existing patterns to work. I have loads of inspiration pictures, I just need some hand-holding to figure out how to actually make it. Here are the things I need some reassurance/clarification with.

1. The fabric I have is a blue wool flannel. It's brushed on both sides. It's somewhere around a medium weight. Will this work? (I really hope so.)

2. For the trousers, can I just modify Liz's method for drafting drawers so that they don't have the overlap in the back? Do they button at the usual fly location in front? I recall seeing an extant pair that buttoned on the hips, but I can't remember where and I'm not finding it in my notes.

3. For the dress, can I use my toile? Do I just add ease through the bodice and create the skirt as usual? Or should I make it like a tunic - and if so, how do I do that?

Thanks in advance!

Betsy Connolly
Living History Society of Minnesota
In The Past Lane - my blog
Ginny Hardcastle
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 06:45:24 PM »

Bump.  This is an interesting topic.  Does anyone have any suggestions for Betsy?
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 02:40:35 PM »

Sorry, I had missed this!

The wool flannel sounds just fine.

Drawers: you can lengthen the inseam to give more coverage on the leg, and I'd probably do the hip-fastening, versus back overlap. I'll see if I can find snaps of some of the trousers that went with bathing costumes. Hank Trent did a HUGE stack of it when recreating Linda's bathing costume.

I'll defer to those who've handled more bathing costumes as to the waist-with-skirt construction and it's common use. Quite a few do seem to be more sacque-like construction, worn loose or belted. I'd consider modifying a sacque for a long hem, or modify your basic bodice:

Copy the neckline, shoulder, armscye, and center front, lengthening the CF down to where you want the hem to live. Note how much below the waist point that is, and add similar to the side seam.

Slice up from the lowest edge to the shoulder (but not through the shoulder) in several places and fan out the lower edge to allow plenty of hip room.

The now-distorted shape will have more flexible ease in the waist as well.

Regards,
Elizabeth
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: