Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Simplicity Patterns 4737 and 4739  (Read 1055 times)
MCBurbage
Developing Scribbler

« on: March 02, 2017, 09:15:09 AM »

My nine-year-old daughter has decided she wants a "Civil War" dress, and I don't know much about children's clothes from the period.  After I finish my current Texas Revolution project, I will spend some time looking at threads on here, but in the meantime, I want to ask about the two girls' dress patterns that Simplicity published several years ago.  I have found a lot of comments on Simplicity's women's patterns but haven't found any about the girls' patterns.

Both of them look like images I've seen except for skirts usually being longer than they are on the taller girls, but I don't know how the patterns are.  Does anyone have any thoughts or opinions on the accuracy of Simplicity 4737 and 4739?

Simplicity 4737

Simplicity 4739

Mary Burbage
EKorsmo
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 01:29:22 PM »

I've not made this pattern.  The envelop pictures don't look bad, but you'll want to make sure the skirts are wide enough (the infant bodice dresses in particular look a bit scant),  and that the bodice is fitted to the child wearing it.  Also, petticoats are typically shorter than the dresses worn over them; I've no idea why they were shown opposite here, but it explains why I keep running into people wearing them that way...

I have used Liz's girls and infant patterns, and highly recommend them.

Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 02:34:31 PM »

These patterns don't meet a good standard of historic shapes, techniques, or construction. I cannot recommend them for living history use, and don't open the forum to discussion on how to correct them. Sorry--not meaning to sound short. Cheesy The forum is designed as a forum for wide discussion, but this particular set of patterns isn't within that.

Regards,
Elizabeth
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: