Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Making tucks on a skirt  (Read 964 times)
debi casey
Frequent Scribbler

« on: February 20, 2017, 07:05:00 PM »

I am back here after several years of absence.  My son has grown up and now I am making an outfit for his girlfriend. She isn't a ruffle type of person and likes tailored look.  So, I found a picture and I would like to make the skirt as in the picture below. My question is how deep are these tucks and how much space between the tucks.[/img]https://www.pinterest.com/pin/12596073930023382/[/url]

I am going to make bishop sleeves instead of the puffed ones.

Thanks
Debi
EKorsmo
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 11:09:39 PM »

The direct link isn't working for me, but by the description I'm assuming this is the dress in question:

Using a ruler, and zooming in, I'm seeing the tucks (and spaces between them) take up 40% of the front skirt length, with the space between two tucks being about a quarter to a third of the tuck depth.  Going off my own measurements, a 42" front skirt length, this would be 9 tucks, each 1.5" deep, with 3/8"-1/2" of space between the bottom of one tuck and the top of the next (actual sewing distance 1 7/8"-2").

Jessamyn
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 08:43:47 AM »

Elizabeth has already done a great job with the math, so I'll just add that these tucks are an excellent advertisement for the period method of balancing the skirt from the waist and keeping the hem on the straight grain!
debi casey
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2017, 02:11:03 PM »

Thanks for all the math.  The length of the skirt will probably @ 44-45 inches; we dont have all the parts yet to make that measurement, but the lady I am making it for is about my height, so that is what I planned for. Once I have the corset finished and her shoes arrive I will have a number.  So, do you think that I would need to make the tucks a tad bit longer for the extra 3 inches? Or just use your numbers. I suppose I should practice on some cheap muslin to see that I like it.

Debi
Ms. Jean
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2017, 03:44:41 PM »

Consider using a fabric that will hold starch & serve as an underskirt/petticoat, too!

Ms. Jean
Route 66
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: