Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ideas for Sheer Silk  (Read 2047 times)
EKorsmo
Dedicated Scribbler

« on: January 14, 2017, 10:09:19 PM »

So, my first sheer dress (a barred silk of light-bright green) doesn't fit, and I don't have enough material left for a new bodice, or to replace the skirt panel that's developing runs along the seam. Most of the skirt fabric is still usable, however, so I'm considering re-purposing it.  Perhaps a sheer mantle? Maybe over-dying it for a more muted green or blue? Is there anything else it might do for?  I don't have small children to sew for, so I'm thinking more along the lines of accessories.     

Ms. Jean
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 03:34:14 PM »

Shirred bonnet?

Ms. Jean
Route 66
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 11:31:43 PM »

The mantle idea is really fun.

What about maybe repairing the running seam, and selling off the dress entire?

Regards,
Elizabeth
EKorsmo
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 09:47:49 PM »

Can't believe I didn't think of a shirred bonnet!  I could really use one for the mid-50s... Thank you, Ms Jean!

Unfortunately, the skirt problem is more along the lines of "fabric shredding along the stitches of the seam/hem" rather than the stitches themselves coming out, so repairing it unobtrusively is beyond me.  My earlier idea was to replace the whole panel and cut a new bodice from the decent parts of the old one, but I don't have enough uncut fabric, and it's already at '2.5 panels of 60" wide', so I can't just narrow the skirt by a half panel.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: