Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Store-bought men's trousers  (Read 2937 times)
Miss Whitlock
Developing Scribbler

« on: January 23, 2017, 02:26:50 PM »

I am looking at buying (instead of making) some trousers for our men's closets. Shocked

It goes a bit against the grain, but I keep telling myself that men back-in-the-day bought their clothes ready made too. Roll Eyes

What do ya'll think of these?

http://www.wwmerc.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=CM832&type=store&category=30030
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 02:35:09 PM »

That vendor is not one I can recommend for accurate goods--it is at best a fantasy dress-up shop. You'll do better to look at tailors who offer ready-to-wear, but the prices will not be $35 for trousers.

Regards,
Elizabeth
Jim_Ruley
Senior Research
Scribblor Infinitus

Tailor at work

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 05:18:30 PM »

It goes a bit against the grain, but I keep telling myself that men back-in-the-day bought their clothes ready made too. Roll Eyes

http://www.wwmerc.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=CM832&type=store&category=30030

I think there is good historical evidence that indeed they did!

However, ready-made trousers in the 1860's were cut on 1860's lines.  Not late 20th century lines with sort-of-period-ish details.
Miss Whitlock
Developing Scribbler

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 09:54:38 AM »

To modern; I shoulda guessed.  Roll Eyes

Do you have recommendations for shops that sell better representations?

I will keep looking!  Smiley
Jim_Ruley
Senior Research
Scribblor Infinitus

Tailor at work

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 06:53:51 PM »

Do you have recommendations for shops that sell better representations?

I have always made my own reenactment clothing, so I haven't been in the market.  I hope someone else can help with your question.

If you are looking for reproductions that represent ready-made clothes, I would expect the main difference from "custom" work to be a less perfect fit.

Surviving original clothing is rarely labelled, so it's hard to say whether a particular piece was ready-made or custom made. 
Elaine Kessinger
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 06:57:48 AM »

This is in response to a specific request for such information and not a generalized advertisement of the company, which is against forum rules.

Originals By Kay often has ready-made menswear based on reputable drafts in standardized sizing. You will want to take a careful look at specific fabrics, weaves, and color schemes appropriate to YOUR focus era. "Just because it was available, doesn't mean it is appropriate for everyone."  Tongue Roll Eyes
http://shop.originals-by-kay.com/category.sc;jsessionid=870D88294254843C2D7A2593C5985AEC.p3plqscsfapp001?categoryId=21

Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 03:01:24 PM »

(Actually, individuals who are not the company themselves, but just ardent customers, may recommend vendors, if those vendors are history-heavy and ethical. Cheesy )

Regards,
Elizabeth
Miss Whitlock
Developing Scribbler

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 10:01:31 PM »

Thanks guys! Chip has offered to make this particular pair (a million thanks to him!) and I will bookmark that link for future bulk purchases.  Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: