Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Last chance for crocheted lace  (Read 2525 times)
Miss Whitlock
Developing Scribbler

« on: November 28, 2016, 12:58:40 PM »

So, I am sorting through donations and I have hit the trim layer. I think these crochet laces are probably not going to work for anything (even petticoats) for the 1840s-1880s, but maybe you guys know something that would let me use them?  Undecided

The pictures are here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B9zG84gILBRQQjdmY05BdFdrazQ?usp=sharing

Thanks!
MCBurbage
Developing Scribbler

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 05:18:59 AM »

The second one (ending in 30) is definitely reminiscent of the illustrations in a knitting book published in 1892.  Many of those patterns are reprints from older sources from the 1870's or 1880's.  I know I've seen crochet patterns for lace from the 1880's and 1890's, but since I don't crochet, I haven't paid much attention to them.  The little flower pattern in the first one (ending in 29) has a similar look to the flower in a knitted lace that was published in that book and in Godey's in 1888.  I'm no expert, but I would think both of these would be okay to use for the 1880's.

Mary Burbage
Miss Whitlock
Developing Scribbler

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2016, 12:38:56 PM »

Hmm, I think you might be right Mary. I was looking at only the earlier stuff, but those you mentioned look pretty good for a little later.

For the record:
When I was looking up the laces, I found some threads on the forum that mentioned a book that talked about different kinds of laces. The laces I saw from there were generally darned onto a net background, or worked with a net around them. They were all way more delicate than the laces I found. When I looked specifically for crochet laces, I did find some for around the turn of the century, and earlier references seemed to use crochet as a auxiliary to tatting (which was supposed to end up looking like "point lace"). I found several knit lace patterns though, for the mid century up to the 1870s. My information sample sizes are pretty small at this point, so any of my conclusions could be off.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: