Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rigolette Pom-Poms  (Read 3505 times)
MCBurbage
Developing Scribbler

« on: September 24, 2016, 02:05:18 PM »

I finally got around to making the pom-poms for the knitted rigolette I knited this summer from the pattern published in Godey's Lady's Book in 1860.  It was very hard to get motivated to make 150 pom-poms, but I finally did it and sewed them on last night.  After I finished, I looked back at the illustration, which I had forgotten to look at between doing the ones around the face and doing the ones across the back, and noticed that the drawing shows them in fairly tight loops while I spaced mine out.  I think they're kind of cute as they are, but I'm not sure how ladies of 1860 would feel about them.  I'm willing to redo them if I should redo them to be tighter, but if they fit the aesthetics of the period, I don't really want to redo them.  Since many of you have a much better grasp of what would appeal to the ladies of old and what would look a little off, I hope someone can advise me.  Do I need to redo the pom-pom loops?

Here's the original illustration:

1860 Knitted Rigolette
by clotho98, on Flickr

Here's mine:

1860 Rigolette
by mcburbage, on Flickr

1860 Rigolette
by mcburbage, on Flickr

Here's an old thread with pictures of one Coleen made years ago:
http://thesewingacademy.org/index.php?topic=6819.0

Mary Burbage
Mrs.HRay
New Scribbler

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 02:42:45 PM »

That is very impressive.  Personally, I really like how you've sewn the pom poms in place.  I think the effect is lovely, and they remind me of tiny snow balls  Smiley.
Allison vV
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 10:39:26 AM »

I can't speak to your question about spacing, but that headdress is gorgeous! I'm drooling, even in September. Smiley

Allison van Vegten

"Procrastination is the thief of time. Collar him!" Charles Dickens

"It's the job that's never started as takes longest to finish." J. R. R. Tolkien
EKorsmo
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 12:43:00 PM »

It's certainly pretty!

Sue Leurgans
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 02:04:19 PM »

I like it.  With a creative mind and not wanting to look like every other women in the town, I think changes to suit personality and desires would exist.

Sue Leurgans
AKA Miss Lawrence
"The secret of happiness is something to do" - John Burroughs
The Sewing-Bird.
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 11:54:17 AM »

Mary, how cute! I think your instincts are right, though -- if I were you, I'd redo the pom-poms to be closer together. Neatness seems to have been a big factor in period accessories, and I think you'll hit the mark once the trim is tighter. Great job!

"The much-celebrated Miss Middleton, lately of Chicago."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: