Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wool Low Bodies?  (Read 2261 times)
EKorsmo
Dedicated Scribbler

« on: August 29, 2016, 01:03:38 PM »

I'm toying with designs for a wool dress c. 1859 (for candlelight tours this autumn), and came across a couple of low bodies which rather threw me.  This one at the Henry Ford and another at the VAM (image of sleeve only, but the neckline is described as "medium low and wide").  The first buttons up the front and has long sleeves, the second is a described as silk-wool and back-lacing.  I'm not sure what to make of them.  Maybe a transitional teen dress (the former) and the an evening dress (the latter?).  Was there a brief revival of wide, open necklines in later 1850s?  I'd been looking for deep V-neck day dresses to copy, but found these instead.

Ms. Jean
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 04:08:43 AM »

Where is the "like" button?

Wonderful that the museum shows the mending inside the skirt -- I think.

Lovely dress, anxious to hear uses!

Thanks, Jean

Ms. Jean
Route 66
EKorsmo
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 01:17:35 PM »

I know! It's nice when they include all the detail shots like that (ie, the ones I would be taking if I had the camera).

Jessamyn
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 04:10:17 PM »

There was a fashion in the late '50s for open semi-long sleeves on evening dresses...

I could see the Ford Museum one being either a teen dress or a dinner dress, and it's easy to imagine that it might have had a matching pelerine that's been lost, like this quick-change artist of a dress:

http://www.antiquedress.com/item4675.htm
EKorsmo
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 11:00:03 PM »

Thanks, Jessamyn!  Still not sure what I want to do with the wool, but that's given me a lot of ideas for the striped silk that's seasoning in my stash.  Especially those detachable sleeves...

Ms. Jean
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 03:49:14 AM »

That's gorgeous!!!

I eat dinner every day, doesn't that mean I need a dinner dress?

: Roll Eyes

Ms. Jean
Route 66
MCBurbage
Developing Scribbler

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 04:12:51 AM »

The collection at Smithfield Plantation in Blacksburg, VA has the same type of "quick-change artist" bodice dated 1857 in their collection.  It's red, black, and green silk plaid, but I don't think there are any pictures online.  It also has the low body with short sleeves and detachable long sleeves and a pelerine.

Mary Burbage
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: