Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Woman's denim jacket  (Read 1191 times)
kglange
New Scribbler

« on: August 18, 2016, 07:44:18 PM »

I'd really like to reproduce this piece (image taken from the Museum at FIT's denim exhibit) for some of the ladies engaged in heavy farm work and blacksmithing at our 1860s site.

What do you think---appropriate?  And line it, or not?

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/eb/7f/62/eb7f62e6e7b7da7a3a7df0a6c98661d1.jpg
K Krewer
Senior Research
Scribblor Infinitus

Madame Goldschmidt

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 02:24:45 PM »

I recall that there was a lot of discussion about this jacket on another forum, with the conclusion being that even if the dating is correct (highly suspect), it's ONE garment that we've seen in the universe of THOUSANDS of extant jackets -- not something someone should replicate if interested in portraying the norm.

K Krewer
Jessamyn
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 06:04:46 PM »

Did somebody delete that jacket thread? I was only able to find another thread referencing it, but not the thread itself, which is too bad, because it had some great scholarship in it. I was thinking the upshot was that while the dating seemed okay, there was no basis for thinking it to be a woman's jacket -- despite a superficial resemblance to a woman's Garibaldi, it has many features, such as the pocket, of a certain type of men's very casual jackets.
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 10:19:48 PM »

Given a lack of anything like additional sources, I'd not consider this one for replication.

Regards,
Elizabeth
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: