Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shoes and some other questions  (Read 2094 times)
Hana R.
New Scribbler

« on: June 30, 2016, 02:36:03 PM »

Hi everyone!

I'm waiting for my busk and other things to arrive before I can keep working on my corset, so I figured I would try to find shoes and ask some other questions I've been wondering about. So:

1. Would any of these shoes work, and if so, which would be the best? And if not, what (preferably cheapish) shoes would you recommend?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/ST-JOHNS-BAY-Granny-Grunge-Boots-Sz-7-M-/222062911008?nav=SEARCH

https://www.etsy.com/listing/281125780/boots-size-7-black-leather-classic-lace?ref=shop_home_active_13

https://www.etsy.com/listing/269621865/size-7w-black-lace-up-ankle-boots-square?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=square%20toe%20boot&ref=sr_gallery_24#

https://www.etsy.com/listing/398469115/boots-size-7-brown-leather-granny-ankle?ref=shop_home_active_6

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Lavorazione-Artigiana-Marconi-Brown-Leather-Lace-Up-Granny-Ankle-Boot-Size-7-/231818311154?nav=SEARCH

https://www.etsy.com/listing/258790965/vintage-black-leather-oxfords-ankle?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=button%20up%20ankle%20boots&ref=sr_gallery_5

2. What would be good circumferences and lengths for petticoats and skirts for a 15 year old girl?

3. Can you wear a dress (or adjust it so you can) over both a cage and petticoats and just petticoats?

4. In your experience, what is the easiest or cheapest way to get a cage/hoop-make it entirely from scratch with online directions, use a certain pattern, ordering one, etc. and where do you get the materials needed?

Thank you so much, and sorry for the somewhat unrelated nature of the questions!

Hana
EKorsmo
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 11:36:52 AM »

I'm short on time, so here's a partial answer:

Most of the shoes you posted are passable (I'd skip the first on account of the speed lacers and the last two because the turn-downs; the fourth is the best, in my opinion).  However, instead of spending $40+ shipping on modern shoes, you might want to save for repros.  The cheapest ones start around $90 (fugawees), and NJ Sekela has some ladies' shoes as low as $110; Abraham's Lady also gets shoes from Robert Land, though they're a bit pricier.  You can sometimes find used reproduction shoes on ebay or on some of the reenacting facebook groups (The Civilian Civil War Closet and The Authentic Civil War Civilian are two that I follow).

Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 01:16:40 PM »

Seconding Elizabeth K's suggestion to just get decent repros; they'll be more useful long-term, and it's only a wee bit more to save up. What size are you looking to need?

Petticoats: Hem to lower calf, and you're likely to need something in the 140" to 170" or so range to look well. Same with dresses, but lean toward the top end of the scale on those.

Dress Lengths: Because you're still in youthful-length dresses, you'll be able to wear a hoop/cage, or not, without too much trouble. That changes in adulthood. Cheesy

Hoops: I solemnly swear that I will get the hoops tutorial finished and done and on the main site. It's quite possible to make a simple hoop at home; if you want a ready-made one, there are some nice options out there, and they will reflect the labor that goes into making one. The manufacturer of my favorite hooping style (two thin steels with buckram covering glued on) retired. So that stuff is hard to find anymore. There are other styles still available, mostly from on-line sources. Home Sewing was one source; most places catering to reenactors stock some options, too. They're heavier than the "favorite", but can still work well, particularly in a hoop skirt, versus a cage. They can work in cages, too, but are easiest to handle in cages with casings that contain the hoop, and vertical tapes to arrange and stabilize the rungs.

Truly Victorian has some nice cage instructions for a very reasonable price, and the shaping ends up being very nice. You'll want to leave off the lower rungs (2-3 of them!) to make sure it's short enough for you; the McNaughton sisters are tall, elegant ladies, and not all of us are so tall. Cheesy

Regards,
Elizabeth
Hana R.
New Scribbler

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 10:04:42 PM »

Thank you!
I need a size 7 shoe and maybe a bit wider than average. After talking with my mother, we have decided to get me reproduction shoes, maybe the Fugawee Victorias? I've decided to not buy a pattern and just figure out the cage making from The Dressmakers Guide and other instructions.

Do you measure over the cage to find the length for petticoats? And then does there need to be a certain difference in petticoat and skirt circumferences so that it will all lay right? If there are two 145" petticoats and a 160" skirt will that work? Is it better to pleat or gauge the skirt of a cotton dress so that it can work for the late 50s to early 60s period as a sort of versatile, dress up or down dress?
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 08:53:02 AM »

Yes, measure over the cage for petticoat and skirt lengths. The petticoats can be a bit smaller than your skirts, or the same, either one. Petticoats are almost invariably gathered. I don't know that I'd try to make a print dress span too long a year range, as cotton print does wear out and die fairly quickly with constant use. You could use gauging or pleats, either one, as both show up on cotton prints, but pleats will span more time, IF the print style also can be suitable for the whole range. Print styles come in and out of fashion.

Regards,
Elizabeth
Sherry Key
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 10:22:48 AM »

I would suggest the Fugawee Rose vs. Victoria.  Much easier to get on.
Sherry Key.

Sherry Key
South Carolina
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: