Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dress Fabric  (Read 1508 times)
Miss Emma
New Scribbler

« on: August 10, 2016, 12:09:42 PM »

I have had this cotton fabric sitting in my stash for probably two years, and I'm wavering on whether to make an 1860s dress from it. I'm having trouble finding examples of this type of stripe being used for cotton, though I've found plenty of striped fabrics in what appear to be silk. Is this fabric accurate to the '60s? Is it close enough to serve me as a make-do piece until I can get better fabric? I'm thinking a day dress with coat sleeves. Otherwise, it's heading back into the stash box(es) for possible use in an 1880s dress. Thoughts?

If the picture isn't clear, the fabric is white with 1/2" forest green stripes spaced 1" apart. I have some matching green fabric which I might use to trim it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5n20gg-xTRWaUk1Y1ZxcThOczA/view?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 12:16:40 PM by Miss Emma » Logged
Ms. Jean
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 03:54:13 AM »

Miss Emma, is there print on the background, maybe in marblized style?  If so, that fabric isn't appropriate IIRC.

Also, is the stripe woven or printed?

I don't have an answer, only questions!

Thanks, Jean

Ms. Jean
Route 66
Miss Emma
New Scribbler

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 09:01:02 AM »

There is no print in the background, it's a solid white with printed green stripes. There is no mottling or marbling evident anywhere.
Jessamyn
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 09:10:50 AM »

What's the weight of the fabric? I've seen semi-sheers with stripes like this -- lawns and the like -- but not calico-weight.
Miss Emma
New Scribbler

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 10:05:16 AM »

The fabric is in the form of a set of sheets, but very lightweight ones. It could probably be considered semi-sheer. I made a sun-dress out of the same fabric, and I have to wear skin-tone undergarments under it.
Miss Emma
New Scribbler

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 07:24:21 AM »

Thank you for your help! I think I'm comfortable using the fabric now. I'm looking forward to having another nice dress, rather than that disaster of a wash dress which was my first project.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: