Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1867 Foundations  (Read 1618 times)
SabrinaM
New Scribbler

« on: August 06, 2016, 02:03:12 PM »

Hello all! I'm new here and this is my first post. I am a Canadian and living history participant. Next year is the 150th anniversary of Canada's Confederation, so living history events are going to be all about 1867 and I need a new outfit. (I know it's a little bit past the 1865 cut-off date for the forum, but I don't think things, other than styles, change too much in that 2-year gap and forum searches have been really helpful for me as I plan out my ensemble.) I've done some other eras, but this is my first foray into the 1860s, so I'm starting with the foundations. I needed a new corset anyways and this one should do me for anything c.1850-1895, though in terms of style, I was aiming for c.1870. Please excuse the late Victorian chemise. I'm holding off on making a new 1860s chemise because I have other things that I need to make. Drawers, instead of plaid pj pants, is probably on that list.  Wink

I also just finished my first hoop. It's elliptical in style with a bum pad underneath to keep the back thrust. I think I made it a little too small (only 85 inches), because I didn't want it to be too big. I'm only 5'1". But it's certainly fun to wear!

And here's the hoop with a petticoat. The petticoat is an 1895 style one, because that was the only one I had that was gored and would fit over the hoop. I'm planning on making another petticoat in white to go over top that is fuller in the front and sides. Also, I don't know why I'm making that serious face at the camera. Probably looking to see if the timer went off.  Roll Eyes

Thanks for looking! I am always happy to hear constructive criticism and any thoughts on how I might improve, especially from you knowledgeable folks!
Ms. Jean
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 04:31:09 AM »

Sabrina, I'm impressed!

Looking forward to more pictures, too.

Jean

Ms. Jean
Route 66
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 11:13:26 AM »

Sabrina, I think you'll get a nice shape for your petite form with a mid-late 60s petticoat over that hoop: less fullness in front, slighly gored panels, and gobs of fullness in the back (and also more length in the back, as you've already discovered with the oval footprint.)

The corset looks very, very nice! Good work there!

Regards,
Elizabeth
Jessamyn
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2016, 11:55:21 AM »

I'm jealous - I love the later '60s but have nowhere to wear those styles!

You've done a great job. The crinoline is on the smaller side, but the '67-'68 skirt really was very collapsed and your shape is perfect. I think you compare very favorably with this '67 plate:

MCBurbage
Developing Scribbler

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2016, 05:06:01 AM »

Very nice indeed.  I'm glad you have reasons to wear the styles from this period since it's one of my favorites.  Enjoy your sesquicentennial events!

For what it's worth, my late '60's petticoat and skirt have flat fronts and most of the fullness in the back.

Mary Burbage
SabrinaM
New Scribbler

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 03:06:53 PM »

Thank you for all the kind words and helpful advice!  Smiley I'm going to get to work patterning the dress this week!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: