Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Corded Bonnet Fabric  (Read 1597 times)
Miss Emma
New Scribbler

« on: August 05, 2016, 07:52:45 PM »

I've been lurking for a while, but I finally made an account so I could meet you all and badger you with questions.  Smiley

I just recently made a slat bonnet with Elizabeth's pattern, and liked it, but I would like to make a corded sunbonnet for nicer wear. My question is, can I use a butter-yellow cotton sheet from my stash, or do I need to purchase a different fabric? I've seen some lovely white corded bonnets, but nothing in yellow, and I'm not sure if the sheet fabric will be too stiff. As far as sheets go, it's pretty soft and lightweight, but I have no idea how it ranks in regard to bonnets.

-Emma
Ms. Jean
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 04:28:11 AM »

Disclaimer: I am an Expert Soccer Mom.   Cool

A cotton sun bonnet should be a print.  A sheer cotton fabric in a solid color is OK.

Wools and silks can be solids, sheers can be solids, cottons are printed except for underpinnings, in general.

An actual clothing expert will come by with a more thorough explanation.

HTH, Jean

Ms. Jean
Route 66
Miss Emma
New Scribbler

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 08:09:25 AM »

Thank you, that's about what I suspected, but I wanted to confirm before I made a choice. Can anyone speak to linen for a corded? I just found some fabric almost identical to the one used in this corded/slat hybrid, but it's from 1850, and the only similar one I found was from the 1840s. My target date is the early 1860s.

http://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/116794?rpp=40&pg=6&ft=*&what=Bonnets&pos=208

-Emma
Paula
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 11:26:18 AM »

I'm not 100% but linen is used much less in the mid century than it is at other times.  Your more common fabrics are going to be cotton, wool or silk.
Jessamyn
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2016, 11:59:56 AM »

Pure linen was still in regular use as a utility fabric for traveling and walking dress in the 1850s, but was largely being replaced by other fibers or blends by the 1860s, especially in America. I'd use something else for an 1860s bonnet.
Miss Emma
New Scribbler

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2016, 10:01:25 AM »

Thank you for your help! I'll head out to the fabric store, then, to find myself some nicely patterned cotton or white sheer. What an unpleasant task that will be.  Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: