Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pioneer camp- done  (Read 948 times)
Miss Whitlock
Developing Scribbler

« on: July 22, 2016, 01:40:31 PM »

First of all, this was right after our fashion show thingy that Heidi and Muriel made so cool. So that was already super awesome, and a lot of fun. THEN came the camps....
So, we have a camp at PFF each year, and every year I clothe the kids like pioneers. This year we had a full camp; 25 kids that needed to have the proper outfits. We are talking dresses, petticoats, drawers, aprons, bonnets, shirts and hats for everyone who needs them. AND thanks to the amazing help of our volunteer sewists, we did it!

Aren't they adorable!  Cheesy

Unfortunately, the picture is from before we did the alterations to make everything fit perfectly (you see all the little petticoats that show), but the fact that everyone has what they need is a huge success for me.  Smiley
EKorsmo
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 09:24:51 PM »

Wow.  That's quite the undertaking!  Good work, all of you!

Muriel Carbiener
Dedicated Scribbler

"Hannah Perkins" at The High Desert Museum.

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 06:47:59 AM »

The Fashion Show at Foster's Farm, OR, was fun.  Heidi Hollister brought the whole family in historical clothing which included her husband and the twins.  She was dressed in mourning clothing including the veil.  She explained what she was wearing and why.  Then she took off the veil and black collar and turned the dress into a nice day dress by adding a white collar, a lovely bonnet, a colored belt and jewelry.

I was wearing the plaid, cotton dress that I paid a lot of money for at the Western Region ALHFAM conference several years ago in Nevada City, MT.  The auction was to raise scholarship funds for those who might need help in attending a national conference.  Kay Demlow had constructed the dress during a workshop.  I certainly did not need the dress, and Kay had to take it in to fit me.  I think I talked about the OR Trail more than I did about the dress and the under clothes.

Muriel
Miss Whitlock
Developing Scribbler

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 12:40:37 PM »

EKorsmo- it was indeed! We couldn't have done it without many hours of hard work from awesome folks!

Muriel- I loved your talk! It was great to hear about the trail specific stuff as well as the general fashions and the cultural norms of mourning, children's clothes etc. I think it gave a very accurate view to the audience. Besides that, I personally learned so much, and it was so great to get to meet you guys in person and learn from your hard-won knowledge! Now I need to come see yours and Heidi's sites!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: