Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: quick (I hope!) question on petticoats  (Read 1455 times)
Stephanie B
New Scribbler

« on: May 12, 2016, 09:43:09 AM »

I am restarching my petticoats and wanted to confirm the layers and directions...

1)layer next to body is drawers and chemise (not starched)
2)on top of that is the base petticoat (no cording).. is this petticoat starched?
3)on top of that is corded (and starched) petticoat
4)above the corded petticoat are variety of petticoats (I've read anywhere from 3-5 above)..I generally wear 3 above my corded, because I love the flounce affect. (are any of these petticoats corded?)

I have been reading the various starched petticoat threads, but haven't found these questions specifically answered, at least not yet..I have several pages to filter through!

Does it change the flare of the corded petticoat if it is dried flat on teh line versus the open sail look? (pinned upside down on the lines or over a covered barrel or such?)
 thanks!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 02:34:48 PM by Stephanie B » Logged
EKorsmo
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2016, 07:44:34 PM »

I've been digging for period references to petticoat order, and while there are some clues about how things were worn post-hoop, but I've found nothing concrete pre-hoop.  The order you suggested should work fine, and is how many/most people I know wear them.  Standard caveat: drawers are optional pre-hoop; I always wear them, and skip the #2 petticoat, finding it redundant with the drawers.  Lots of people starch the corded and higher petticoats; I find little difference in wear between drying them over a garbage can versus line drying them.  If I recall correctly, Carolann's current research suggests that corded pettis were not starched (or at least not heavily); I've worn mine both ways, and while I get a little more loft when it's a bit starchy, my 90" corded petti does its job of keeping my limbs free quite well without starch.  The upper petticoats give more loft and look nicer when starched.

None of my upper petticoats are corded, but I've read one reference which suggests multiple corded petticoats were possible (though it's Cranford, so early, and was a reference to laundry, so they may not have been worn together).  I also saw a petticoat, I think in the Met, which combined a very few rows of cording with decorative elements (fewer than a "corded petticoat", but more than I was expecting to see); unfortunately, I can't find it at the moment.

Paula
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2016, 09:01:19 PM »

My personal order for pre-hoop events

1) Drawers and chemise (not starched)
2) Corded petticoat 90" (not starched)
3) Plain petticoat 120" (starched)
4) Tucked petticoat 180" (starched)
5) Super fancy tucked petticoat (starched) or colored work petticoat (not starched), depending on circumstance 180"

All my petticoats are dried on the line and then ironed. 
Stephanie B
New Scribbler

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2016, 11:19:38 PM »

Yay! I don't feel too off then! I have been wearing chemise (drawers to be made soon), corded petticoat (starched), flounced petti, cause I love the loft, and one or two plain pettis on top to help smooth the flounce... But have not starched any beyond the corded petti...i think I will be playing with starching the upper ones...
Recommendationa for starching or not the flounced layer?
Paula
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 06:03:34 AM »

Sorry no help on that one.  I've found with a good starching I have plenty of loft with just my plain and tucked petticoats to get the pre '57 shape.  The ironing required to maintain a flounced petticoat was just too much to contemplate for me.   Grin
Stephanie B
New Scribbler

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 01:43:02 AM »

So I decided to starch all of my top petticoats, including my flounced one, and great lift from all of them! Maybe a wee bit too much loft with my bum pad included, so will not be going quite that much with the flounced petticoat re starching once it has lost some of its umph, but it was fun! Am going to include a petticoat under my corded, for protection against my legs, it was ok this time, but I can definitely see the benefits in that, especially as I do not have my drawers made yet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: