Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Are You Learning Right Now?  (Read 5299 times)
CVanS
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2016, 06:04:46 AM »

I am learning about the women's war on the homefront.  Picked up Army at Home by Judith Giesberg whilevI was at the Civilian Symposium in March.  It is mostly about northern women's lives.  I have found it interesting and tagged many pages to go back and gather notes to delve deeper into certain sub-topics.
Miss Whitlock
Developing Scribbler

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2016, 06:39:25 PM »

Oh, this is so cool! The veil is amazing and the variety of research is so interesting!

I have been learning about food, for an event we are having where I get to step out of the manager role a little and run the old stove in the kitchen. I am making donuts (a tradition at PFF) and I need to find something else that can be served to lots of people without needing much attention... I am thinking bread and/or soup, so I am looking up soup recipes. As with any research, I am finding a lot of interesting bunny trails too!

Sample one week meal plans for each season!
A host of gross things to tell guests about!
Black pudding with sheep blood!
White pudding with pig blood!
Offal soups! (not awful, offal, but probably awful too)
Details about how the kitchen was run!
Info about utensils and pots and pans!
What they did with leftovers!

THIS is the fun part.  Cheesy

Sue Leurgans
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2016, 10:38:46 AM »

Learning how to do make some of the items listed in Godey's for fancy fairs.  Have found the instructions in The Girls Own Book 1833 for some of the baskets listed. Love it when we figure out where stuff was plagerized from in the fashion magazine.

Currently trying to work out how the paper rosette basket is meant to be.
https://books.google.com/books?id=gYEEAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=the+girl%27s+own+book&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjA77asmZnOAhXMej4KHZjKDPEQ6AEILzAA#v=onepage&q=the%20girl%27s%20own%20book&f=false

Starts on page 127.  I get so far and then for the last section, haven't solved it yet. Anyone have experience with this rosette?
Also wondering if these are attached to an existing basket, become a basket on their own, get linked together middle to middle or end to end... lots of wondering on this one.

Sue Leurgans
AKA Miss Lawrence
"The secret of happiness is something to do" - John Burroughs
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: