Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Are You Learning Right Now?  (Read 5506 times)
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« on: May 06, 2016, 08:23:08 AM »

So, here's a fun topic for discussion: What are you learning about right now? What resources are you using?

For our household, we're taking some time to explore children's experiences on the Oregon/California Trails in our section of the trail. What were the differences between their life and home, their life on the Trail, and the life they expected to have at journey's end? We're using first-hand accounts, what the children said of their own experiences, in a variety of diary collections.

To carry it forward, we're also sharing what we're learning with groups of school children coming through the small local history park the girls and I are volunteering at this summer. The park has an additional interpretive focus on botany this year, so we're also talking about plants along the Trail, which ones were used and for what, and how children were involved with that realm of knowledge.

What 19th century knowledge is on your plate right now?

Regards,
Elizabeth
Paula
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 05:48:11 PM »

Researching local forts and rural Oregon circa 1865-66 ish in prep for an event later this year.  Trying to figure out what new dress I'm making for this era and how to modify my current bodice to make it work.
EKorsmo
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 08:22:19 PM »

Reading up on lace-making (checked out every book in the library system) in anticipation of some bobbin lace projects.  In a very logical extension thereof, I also started experimenting with straw plaiting, and am slowly working through every mid-century mention on Google books.  

« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 08:25:46 PM by EKorsmo » Logged

Muriel Carbiener
Dedicated Scribbler

"Hannah Perkins" at The High Desert Museum.

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 06:05:48 AM »

I'm re-reading "Gold Rush" - The Journal and Drawings of J. Goldsburg Bruff, 1849-1851.  This is one of the best diaries with so many details of the journey.  He was at the scene that I interpret at the High Desert Museum.  In August I will be at the annual Oregon-California Trails Association conference which this year is at Fort Hall, ID, not too far from where Liz lives.  Fort Hall was a major stop for those going west, and is now on the Shoshone-Bannock, Fort Hall Reservation.  They have built a beautiful hotel which is where the conference will be.

Muriel
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 08:44:57 PM »

Okay, so I definitely think I need to drive down to the OCTA conference... Thanks for mentioning it, Muriel!! It'll be fun to see you!

Regards,
Elizabeth
Muriel Carbiener
Dedicated Scribbler

"Hannah Perkins" at The High Desert Museum.

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 05:59:59 AM »

Okay, so I definitely think I need to drive down to the OCTA conference... Thanks for mentioning it, Muriel!! It'll be fun to see you!

It will be great to see you too.
Elaine Kessinger
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 01:36:47 PM »

I'm diving yet further into the political and religious-political situations on early to mid 19th century Wallachia, Moldavia, Romania, Russia, and Ukraine.

As I have followed a Wallachian immigrant through the now complete 150th cycle with certain biographical legends, I now need to take those biographical legends back five years.

Many of the experiences today's immigrants from Eastern Europe have faced were experienced by those immigrating in the post 1848 Up-risings period. Political upheaval, unstable governments, governments that promise reform only to be deposed before the reforms can be enacted, anti semitism, search for a national identity, constant fleeing from violence, confusing and contradictory edicts... it's kinda all there still.

BetsyConnolly
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2016, 07:54:12 AM »

My fiance is attending his first weekend-long event next week (he is a brave/foolhardy soul) and I have been working on outfitting him. So I have been learning a LOT about menswear, which is something I completely ignored before, so I have lots to learn.

We have also been researching our impressions so we have been learning about pleasure travel in the United States, the life of a law clerk in the mid 19th century, and Bleeding Kansas. The date for the event is 1860 so we have also been reading up about local and national news and events in May 1860, particularly around the election of 1860 (tip: if you want to feel a little less morose about our current elections, go read up on the election of 1860).

Once this event is over, I will be researching some more local history and what civilians in 1860s Minnesota did to support the Union. This is a pet topic of mine and I have been asked to present on the topic for a local historical society, so I  need to pull my research together and look in new places.

Betsy Connolly
Living History Society of Minnesota
In The Past Lane - my blog
Anna Worden Bauersmith
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2016, 11:20:20 AM »

Decorative straw components for millinery is focus just now. This is both a research piece (accumulating the which, what and where) and a hands on piece (trying to make the decorative shapes.)

This goes along with the never ending exploration of female employment and business ownership through the first 2/3rds of the century.

Anna Worden Bauersmith
http://annaworden.wordpress.com/
Straw & Winter Millinery - Available on Etsy
Fanciful Utility: Victorian Sewing Cases & Needle-books
From Field to Fashion: The Straw Bonnet
EKorsmo
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2016, 10:09:59 PM »

Ooo.  Any chance this decorative straw-work will involve tiny bees? You see, there's this veil...

P McIntosh
New Scribbler

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2016, 07:34:55 AM »

I?m currently reading a 1870s book on the use of machine sewing in menswear. I?ve also been learning more about early photography process.

Parker
Elaine Kessinger
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2016, 07:52:55 AM »

OOOO... which book, please, Mr. McIntosh?

P McIntosh
New Scribbler

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2016, 04:25:49 PM »

The book is Machine Sewing, or Machine Sewing Compared With Hand Sewing, and the Suitability of Each for High Class Trade.

The book is from a friends collection. He gave me a copy that I have permission to share. Here's the link https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4oYcNfP5FFLM1JKZnQxRGlZLXM/view

Parker
EKorsmo
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2016, 05:27:22 PM »

Neat! Thanks for sharing.

Anna Worden Bauersmith
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2016, 07:46:46 AM »

Ooo.  Any chance this decorative straw-work will involve tiny bees? You see, there's this veil...

Show me, please.

Anna Worden Bauersmith
EKorsmo
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2016, 06:18:30 PM »

This bonnet veil at the VAM.  It has little straw bees accenting it. Smiley

Sue Leurgans
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2016, 05:44:22 PM »

At the V & A!  Shoot missed it. Must not be on display currently. 
Saw the undressed display the V & A has. There are 2 corsets displayed made with cotton net. About 3/16th inch squares net, want to contact them and find out if the net is stiffened or not. Wish they let people take pictures of the display.  Cry

Sue Leurgans
AKA Miss Lawrence
"The secret of happiness is something to do" - John Burroughs
EKorsmo
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2016, 09:31:21 PM »

Net corsets?  Were they our era? Sounds intriguing!

Sue Leurgans
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2016, 04:58:20 AM »

Yes they were our era and I am intrigued too. The net wasn't fine, the threads were chained together, maybe like in crochet. I'll try and find out more next week.

Sue Leurgans
AKA Miss Lawrence
"The secret of happiness is something to do" - John Burroughs
Anna Worden Bauersmith
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2016, 10:53:51 AM »

This bonnet veil at the VAM.  It has little straw bees accenting it. Smiley

It looks like those bees have a few techniques going. I think I see woven wings, black straw threads and tiny braided shape for the body. The head might be beads. This could take a while.

Anna Worden Bauersmith
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: