Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vest Questions (Laughing Moon Pattern)  (Read 949 times)
BetsyConnolly
Veteran Scribbler

« on: April 30, 2016, 06:08:52 PM »

Alright. Menswear is happening and I'm working on a linen vest for my fiancee (for his first reenactment!) using the Folkwear 222 pattern. It's my first vest and needs to be done ASAP, so I'm using it as a learning experience. My fiancee gets very warm, especially when wearing more than one layer, and for the next few years he will basically be limited to summer events, so I'm trying make this as comfortable for him as possible.

The problem is that the pattern is fully lined. I'd like to make it with just a lined front, unlined back. Here are my main questions:

• I understand that the lining gets attached to the outer layer at the armscye, which is then turned to bring the lining inside. Does this change if just the front is lined? If not, how are the back armscyes finished?
  • Based on my notes from observing originals, the bottom edge of the back should just be narrowly hemmed. Am I right on this?
  • Does anything else about the construction change when the back isn't lined?

I hope those are coherent as I sit here looking like:  Huh

Thanks in advance for any help!

Betsy Connolly
Living History Society of Minnesota
In The Past Lane - my blog
P McIntosh
New Scribbler

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 11:38:47 AM »

Yes, the bottom edge of the back should just be narrowly hemmed, about a quarter inch. All the originals I've seen the arm scye is turned over the same as the hem at the bottom of the back.

Hope this helps.

Parker
BetsyConnolly
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 12:35:06 PM »

Thanks! Proof that sleeping on a question often helps - I woke up this morning and took a second look through the pictures of originals I got from the vest workshop at the Symposium this year. I was able to blow up a picture of a linen vest with an unlined back and determine that it does have a turned-hem finishing. Sharing here for posterity.

Betsy Connolly
Living History Society of Minnesota
In The Past Lane - my blog
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: