Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What happened to Practical Prinkery?  (Read 3193 times)
Ginger Lane
Veteran Scribbler

« on: April 19, 2016, 07:59:48 AM »

I was asked for some advice at an event this past weekend by a lady with three daughters.  She has Elizabeth's dress pattern and has used it for a variety of things, but the oldest daughter (12, I think) is starting to get bigger. Initially she had some questions about drafting, for which I referred her to the Dressmaker's Guide.  But the topic of girl's stays came up as well.  Her daughter isn't very curvy at all yet, though she's about a women's size 2-4 (modern dress size).  She's since messaged me and asked what I recommended for a girl's stays pattern.

I checked the main site and saw that PP isn't around any more. Was it rolled into the expanded Dressmaker's Guide?  If not, what is the alternative? I'm not sure my friend has Elizabeth's girls' linens pattern, which might be the place to start. But I think she could really benefit from some more discussion beyond just the pattern.

This situation is kind of tricky. I've known about this stuff for so long, but I've never had to actually pull things together for myself! Certainly I haven't had to dress a preteen. Cheesy

Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 10:07:12 PM »

Yes, we rolled all the information from Prinkery, the old Dressmaker's Guide, AND Skirting the Issue, all into one volume, plus more bits (like the accessories and corsets and research). Long-term, I think DMG is going to be more useful to her; it can be used in conjunction with the girls linens pattern if desired, or if she wants the extra security of a printed pattern.

This weekend, I'll be posting more about making stays for girls as part of the Dressing Girls blog series on the main site, too.

Regards,
Elizabeth
Ginger Lane
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 05:35:00 AM »

Thank you, Elizabeth.  I strongly advised her to get the DMG, but right now she's kind of flailing with the larger girls' clothing, and having difficulty grading up.  Are the girls' patterns going to be sufficient  for her daughter? She's a good size, and not yet curvy.

Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 08:50:14 AM »

They go up to a girls modern 14/16; if she's out of all girls clothing, then scaling *down* something adult, and switching the placket location, is going to be easier; likewise, custom draping is always an option.

Regards,
Elizabeth
Ginger Lane
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 09:15:28 AM »

Okay, sounds good! Thank you!

Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 09:44:45 AM »

Happy to help! Cheesy If she'd rather use the patterns, I can help her fit and upsize as needed, or I can help her drape, either one.

Regards,
Elizabeth
Ginger Lane
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 12:16:11 PM »

Thank you, I'll pass that along to her!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: