Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Historic Fashion Show in need of participants (in Oregon)  (Read 5126 times)
Miss Whitlock
Developing Scribbler

« on: March 14, 2016, 04:00:23 PM »

Hi all,

I hope it is ok to put this here.  Tongue

I volunteer/work at Philip Foster Farm, a historic site on the Oregon trail (specifically, the Barlow road near Mt. Hood). Every year we have a garden party and fashion show, and it falls to me (who usually just works on costumes and talking to tours) to arrange for a nice talk about the fashions of the time.

The participants in the show are volunteers who already have an authentic outfit, and some knowledge to go with it. The MC is yet to be determined this year, but in previous years I have gotten Marge Harding or Kay Demlow to come. The MC describes each outfit for our little crowd, and gives some history with it. However, a big part of the fun is the time before and after the show, getting to talk with the guests, and show them the stories and work that go into all the clothing we are showing. Some of the participants have even stayed in a first person impression for that time, which was really cool. I don't have a theme this year, so we are just looking around for people with any sort of impression from anywhere in that 1800-1900 range.  Roll Eyes

Personally, I also enjoy getting to see the historic site in full swing. We get our blacksmith shop going, and our cookstove, and our store. This is sort of a shameless plug, but it really is one of my favorite places, and the event is one of my favorite events. Smiley

If you are interested in volunteering, the day is July 16th, and the event runs 1pm-4pm. The fashion show only goes on for maybe 30 minutes of the event, but it is still a good idea to come at 12 or 12:30 to get a bit of an orientation. To sign up,you can email me at cassie@philipfosterfarm.com

To see a bit of what it is, check our website (note, this is an event from a while ago, and the participants you see were actually models wearing clothes from a collection, so though the form of the event is similar the elements are different):

http://www.philipfosterfarm.com/pffwp/mary-charlottes-garden-party/

This is us: v

Muriel Carbiener
Dedicated Scribbler

"Hannah Perkins" at The High Desert Museum.

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 07:24:42 AM »

Yes, I think I can come.  I'm in Bend, High Desert Museum.  I have a nice dress made by Kay Demlow, and the normal, mid 19th C. underclothes.  Please add me to your list for further communications.  1852lady@bendbroadband.com.

Muriel Carbiener
MaryDee
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 03:22:43 PM »

I would be interested except that my group (1st Oregon Infantry) already has a living history event scheduled at Fort Vancouver July 16. 
Heidi Hollister
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 05:10:34 PM »

I might be able to arrange to be there...  I do miss the PNW. 

Semper Sewus Historicana!
Miss Whitlock
Developing Scribbler

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 11:09:44 PM »

Muriel- So excited to get to meet you in person! I send emails/call people around May, so expect an update then. See you there! Cheesy

MaryDee- Darn, did we really overlap with someone again?  Sad I will add your group to my "try not to overlap with" list. Smiley Sorry we won't get to see you there...

Heidi- I hope you can come!  Smiley

EKorsmo
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 10:39:40 AM »

Can't make it myself, but I've spread the word among the Nisqually volunteers.

Miss Whitlock
Developing Scribbler

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 02:05:59 PM »

I am doing the rounds, reminding my contacts that the fashion show is coming up. If I have your email I will be sending you a note with this info.

Mary Charlotte's Garden Party is our annual event that features a fashion show. Every year I find people with authentic 19th century outfits to show off in our show. This year the event is on July 16th.

Where: Philip Foster Farm 29912 SE Hwy 211, Eagle Creek, Oregon
When: 1pm-4pm

Participant info:
While the event starts at 1pm, the show itself starts at 1:30pm. It is a good idea to show up a little early, to get oriented and/or dressed. I  will be there to greet you and show you around. At 1:15 we will gather up in the staging area, and arrange by era (we usually have people with outfits from 1800-1900). When the event starts, the M.C. will give a short intro, and then from earliest to latest she will address each outfit. When she finishes with one, that person will move to a spot where the guests can still observe them, and the next outfit will be addressed. When each outfit has been discussed, the whole stage will then be a line up from earliest to latest, and the guests can generally ask questions to participants or the MC. The show is usually over in around 30-50 minutes, but you can certainly stay for the event and make it a little "trip to the country".

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to email me at cassie@philipfosterfarm.com!

Hope we can see you there!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: