Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Petticoat with Diagonal Tucks  (Read 2190 times)
EKorsmo
Dedicated Scribbler

« on: March 14, 2016, 12:22:37 PM »

Full write-up here (warning: math).

Victoria Pann
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 03:52:22 PM »

Congratulations on winning the petticoat contest-novice division at the Civilian Symposium, Elizabeth.  We fellow Fort Nisqually-ites are so proud of you!

Victoria Pann
Fort Nisqually Historical Interpreter
Washington State
http://victoriapann.blogspot.com
Heidi Hollister
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 05:11:59 PM »

I love it Elizabeth!  As a former Fort Nisqualy-ite, I salute you.

(And you make me tear up Victoria with your profile picture...  I miss those days)

Semper Sewus Historicana!
Jessamyn
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 06:58:04 PM »

So glad I got to see it in person! Good stuff!
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 10:33:36 AM »

I had to recuse myself from voting, because I was unduly influenced by personal association. Cheesy It was great to hear you announced as the winner... not just popular vote, but faculty vote, too!

Regards,
Elizabeth
MCBurbage
Developing Scribbler

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 04:56:23 AM »

Very, very nice.

Mary Burbage
Ginny Hardcastle
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 10:45:20 PM »

Absolutely beautiful, Beth!

I also looked at the pictures/write up of the petticoat on your blog.  I think that your version, with the reduced number of elements is actually prettier than the original version.

Can you tell us a little about how the insertion of diagonal tucks is sewn in?  How do you think the diagonal tucks will behave during laundering and ironing?  Do you think they will stay neatly in place or get a little wonky?

Ginny
EKorsmo
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 11:07:53 PM »

Thanks, everyone!

The diagonal tucks are made of a separate piece of material which is laid on the petti, with the a narrow self-fabric binding covering the raw edges.  The Dressmaker's Guide has better instructions, but you basically make the tucks straight and then cut the tucked material on the bias to get the diagonal effect. The original had the binding topstitched twice--potentially, the binding could have been centered over the raw edges of the insertion (with its own raw edges turned under), and then just stitched down by machine close to each edge. Instead of doing this, I followed Liz's directions and set the binding right-to-right with the diagonal insertion, stitched them (to eachother and the petticoat base), then folded the binding over the raw edge of the insertion and top-stitched it down.

So far, it's responded well to ironing--the tucks are fairly small in both depth and width.  I haven't tried washing the finished garment.

Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2016, 11:04:34 AM »

I've been asked to show the diagonal tucking in tutorial form during the upcoming Dressing Girls blog series, so I'll link it back over here, too. Cheesy They launder very well!

Regards,
Elizabeth
Paula
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2016, 07:06:29 PM »

Elizabeth it will be fine.  Mine has held up great with washing and like you said the small tucks aren't that hard to iron.
Cassidy
New Scribbler

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 06:46:35 AM »

Gorgeous! You put me to shame. Wink

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: