Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tucked Petticoats  (Read 2926 times)
Cassidy
New Scribbler

« on: February 28, 2016, 03:57:55 PM »

It's not much, but I'm very happy with my work! I don't get a lot of sewing done, so every finished project is worth celebrating.

For the Historical Sew Monthly's second challenge, I made a pair of tucked petticoats to wear over my cage.

The long seams, tucks, and hem were machine-sewn, but the skirts are attached to the waistbands with stroked gathers.

Generally, I try to use the best fabric for the job, but I'm saving the Pima for the chemise and drawers and went with utility muslin for these, even though I knew I was going to put many hours into the handwork.

EKorsmo
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 08:33:48 PM »

Those are some beautiful stroked gathers.

Also, welcome!

Cassidy
New Scribbler

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 12:33:31 PM »

Thank you and thank you! I love doing stroked gathers, even though they take so much time - so satisfying to pick up every little fold separately.

Sue Leurgans
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 03:54:28 PM »

Thank you and thank you! I love doing stroked gathers, even though they take so much time - so satisfying to pick up every little fold separately.

The first time I heard someone say that about stroked gathers, I thought they were odd. But now I feel the same way. There is something satisfying or maybe soothing about doing it. 

Nice petticoats.

Sue Leurgans
AKA Miss Lawrence
"The secret of happiness is something to do" - John Burroughs
Ginger Lane
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2016, 11:08:56 AM »

Ooh, very nice! Those do look good, both tucks and gathers. To me, the only frustrating thing about stroked gathers are when I'm in a hurry. Then I lose all relaxation!

Cassidy
New Scribbler

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 08:10:11 AM »

Oh, definitely. That's why I'm spending February-June making all the bits to be worn at an event July 30-31!

Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 10:32:32 AM »

Hoorah! Good starch on the utility muslin will make a dramatic difference in body; it resurrects it entirely. You'll get good life out of them for awhile. Cheesy

One thing for when you start doing your Forever Pima Pettis: in general, there is a gap of about the same depth as the tuck between tucks on originals, and a space about the same width as the tuck above the hem stitching line, before the first tuck fold. And, they're often in odd-number sets. It's a period aesthetics thing, and doesn't decrease the utility or functionality of your current good work.

Regards,
Elizabeth
Cassidy
New Scribbler

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 06:31:25 AM »

Hoorah! Good starch on the utility muslin will make a dramatic difference in body; it resurrects it entirely. You'll get good life out of them for awhile. Cheesy

One thing for when you start doing your Forever Pima Pettis: in general, there is a gap of about the same depth as the tuck between tucks on originals, and a space about the same width as the tuck above the hem stitching line, before the first tuck fold. And, they're often in odd-number sets. It's a period aesthetics thing, and doesn't decrease the utility or functionality of your current good work.

Thank you for the advice! I may yet add a third tuck, since the top petticoat is distressingly long on one side - it's exaggerated by the angle I used for the picture, but it's definitely a bit weird there. (I'm not sure why, I measured front, back, and sides when cutting and can't have gone off track more than 1/8" or so when gathering ...)

Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 10:11:32 AM »

Utility muslin will sometimes stretch under the weight of the whole petticoat; adding more tucks is always good, though it'll be a bit awkward now that it's so nicely set to the waist, so don't feel like it's your fault if you need to use Sewing Vocabulary while pressing. Cheesy

Regards,
Elizabeth
MaryDee
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2016, 05:36:39 PM »

"Sewing Vocabulary"   LOL!!!
Miss Ruth
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2016, 12:46:32 PM »

Ohhh! Pretty petticoats! They're lovely! I have never seen stroked gathers before. Interesting.....

"Favor is deceitful and beauty is vain; but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised."

Proverbs 31:30

http://sewingroomtales.blogspot.com/
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2016, 12:08:51 PM »

Ruth, it's a technique used heavily for undergarments, children's dresses, and men's shirts at mid-century, and was used on women's dresses prior to about 1842/43, too.

Regards,
Elizabeth
Heidi Hollister
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2016, 01:55:28 PM »

Beautiful stroked gathers...  I'm such a lazy bones about my pettis. 

Semper Sewus Historicana!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: