Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hidden growth tucks?  (Read 2534 times)
Michaela Richmond
Developing Scribbler

« on: February 27, 2016, 05:51:04 AM »

My sister recently bought a lovely plaid cotton fabric for a dress. Since she has plenty of material, I suggested that trimming it with bias fabric, including a wide band near the hem, would look nice. Except, if I trim the skirt in this way, I don't think growth tucks would look good with it. Were growth tucks ever hidden behind trim (behind the bias fabric in this case), or made "backwards" so the tuck was on the inside of the skirt and the trim covered up the seam lines?

Your humble servant,
Miss Michaela Richmond
Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/farmingdaughter/
Blog: http://thefarmingdaughter.com/
Micaila
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 11:00:48 AM »

I think, in this case, that you might be better off hiding extra length in the fold-over at the waist. You will need to reset the skirt when she grows, but chances are, her waist measurement will change as well. If there is fading, this will place the brighter strip of color at the waist where it will be lost amid the pleating or gauging, instead of midway down the skirt where it will be very noticeable.

HTH,

Micaila

Heidi Hollister
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 11:52:42 AM »

I rather like the backward tuck idea myself.  I couldn't give you a source for that option, but it'd be a whole lot simpler to make it grow as she gets taller.  Personally, I would rather make a whole new dress than go up to the waist and redo all the gauging. The amount of wear most reenactors get out of a dress won't really make fading a real issue (Unless you're doing this a LOT).  Grow tucks are a practical thing above a fashionable thing, so I think that anyway you want to make it happen is going to be just fine.

Semper Sewus Historicana!
EKorsmo
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 11:55:41 AM »

Honestly, I think tucks above a bias band would look adorable.

I haven't found an original with tucks above a self-fabric bias, but there are examples of tucks combined with different hem embellishments in Mrs. Abraham's two "The Way They Were" books.  Many of these are a single tuck, some of them surprisingly high on the skirt (like, half-way up)--one even has a tuck below the trim.  The decoration is most often braidwork, but there are a few flat bands of contrasting trim, including one skirt with a tuck above a plaid bias band on a solid-colored skirt (close, but not a self-fabric bias). 

Micalia's idea of putting the extra into the turn-over is a good period option.  You could also keep some of the extra fabric in reserve (depending on how much you have); put in decorative and functional growth tucks for now, then add bias bands when you let the tucks out, possibly using the bias to cover the signs of the tucks.

Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 10:39:25 AM »

I'd suggest visible tucks, or extra in a turn-over at the waist--that one particularly for the reasons Micaila mentions, as most kids will need a waist reset if they get a good bit taller, anyhow.

I've not found any mentions or extants that have tucks on the inside of the garment.

Regards,
Elizabeth
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: