Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Annie Etheridge  (Read 1814 times)
Miss Ruth
Veteran Scribbler

« on: February 07, 2016, 01:58:07 PM »

Hey, everybody! Lately I've become interested in knowing a little bit more about Annie Etheridge (Gentle Annie) and I was curious to know (Mrs. Clark, if this is not appropriate as it pertains to more than just home life, please do not hesitate to remove!) if there is any solid knowledge about her life. I can't seem to find any, and I'm not sure if perhaps I just don't know how to search google to find actual fact?  Cheesy

If anybody knows, I would be very grateful if you would share.

"Favor is deceitful and beauty is vain; but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised."

Proverbs 31:30

http://sewingroomtales.blogspot.com/
Ms. Jean
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 03:33:17 PM »

Good afternoon, Ruth.

Using Google, there is information about Annie Ethridge on the US Army's own Gettysburg page.

Other pages indicate she was born in Michigan,  the state's Historical Society and Wayne County's Historical Society may have more information in their holdings.  There is likely a collection of historical manuscripts held by a library in Michigan with information about Annie, possibly her personal correspondence.

The Grand Army of the Republic was a veterans' organization.  Members may have written about Annie.

You might also try the US Army's own archives, held at Carlisle Barracks in Pennsylvania.

FamilySearch is a genealogy website, could lead you to places Annie lived after the war.  US GenWeb has pages for Michigan and for Wayne's County, you may find information about her life through these sites.

Set up a recording system for yourself, keep track of the sources you use and especially the dead ends!

HTH, Ms. Jean

Ms. Jean
Route 66
Miss Ruth
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 02:37:28 PM »

Thank you, Ms. Jean! If I can get hold of those archives someday, that would be pretty interesting! My curiosity was taking more of a published works form. I'm afraid I haven't the time or the resources to chase after original manuscripts!

However, I take it from your reply that there really is no published work with actual facts about her?

Thanks!  Smiley

"Favor is deceitful and beauty is vain; but a woman that feareth the LORD, she shall be praised."

BetsyConnolly
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 12:23:53 PM »

Thank you, Ms. Jean! If I can get hold of those archives someday, that would be pretty interesting! My curiosity was taking more of a published works form. I'm afraid I haven't the time or the resources to chase after original manuscripts!

However, I take it from your reply that there really is no published work with actual facts about her?

Thanks!  Smiley

I think that would be pretty unlikely, or at least very difficult to ascertain. The pantheon of written history is vast, and there must be something out there Smiley

You may have thought of this already, but have you tried seeking help from a reference librarian? They love helping people with research projects like this. Often when you get into obscure topics or topics that haven't been widely researched, a reference librarian is the best place to start for some direction. And they usually love it when people come to them with this kind of question.

Betsy Connolly
Living History Society of Minnesota
In The Past Lane - my blog
EKorsmo
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 08:30:18 PM »

There's actually a couple of references on Google books--I was only looking to 1900, so there may be more.  I've no idea about modern scholarly works, though.

The main one is an 1867 bio in Women's Work in the Civil War (starts page 747).  It's also reprinted in 1888 in Heroines of the Rebellion.

She's quoted in an 1899 biography of Major-General Hiram G. Berry (which gives her address in Washington, D. C. as of 1895).

The above names her as "Miss Annie Etheridge" (in the 1890s), but there's a "Mrs. Annie Etheridge", born in Michigan, employed by the Treasury Department between 1869 and 1874.

Miss Ruth
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 03:18:37 PM »

Thank you, ladies! 

No, the librarian I had not thought of (I live some distance from a library). I had completely forgotten about google books! 

I suppose, then, it is an established fact that she was MRS. Etheridge? I can't seem to find any information about her first husband or what became of him. I've read that he was killed in battle, but that was along with a story that she had joined the same regiment with him. (Which according to Women's Work, she did not.) It seems to me she really is rather a mystery, am I right?  Cheesy

Ms. Jean
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 07:04:19 PM »

Ruth, the FamilySearch website would be a good source for marriage information.

Most libraries now have a Contact Us screen on their websites.  You may be able to correspond with an interested librarian, and then pick up the materials in a planned trip to town.

Keep a research log!

HTH, Ms. Jean

Ms. Jean
Route 66
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: