Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Suit of Clothes In Progress  (Read 599 times)
Joseph Stevens
Dedicated Scribbler

Baby sister and I, Cheadle Lake, May 2012

« on: March 16, 2014, 02:25:34 AM »

This part of the Sewing Academy generally gets so little shared on it that I thought I might take a moment to share some highlights from a recent project. All of the following garments were made bespoke for the same person, and the work is 100% by me from patterning to completion. The vests were taken from Devere, the trousers are Salisbury, and the shirt is from The Tailor & Cutter. Enjoy!

An 1860's "French cut" shirt, shown here in progress before the collar, buttons, and buttonholes were completed.

A pair of striped brown linen summer trousers.

Three silk vests; two double breasted, one single breasted, all of the shawl collar style. The SB vest is bound in chocolate brown silk bias along the outer edges and around the pocket welts, per some originals. Please pardon the fit on my dress form.

(Yes--I really am THAT anal about matching patterns on pocket welts. Just as in original womens' clothing, you see a wide range of skill exhibited in period menswear with some garments that have extremely well matched patterns to some that make you question what substance the cutter was on when he cut into the cloth. While some makers are fine turning out garments with mismatched patterns, I'm not one of them.)

Joseph Stevens

"Oh, I like tedious, practical subjects. What I don't like are tedious, practical people." -Oscar Wilde; An Ideal Husband
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: