Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Braces buttons  (Read 1413 times)
BetsyConnolly
Veteran Scribbler

« on: January 17, 2016, 04:07:15 PM »

Hi all,

I'm venturing into menswear to make an outfit for my Gentleman Friend. I used the Past Patterns summer trousers pattern to make a pair of linen trousers for him. They turned out great, and the last thing I have to do is put the buttons on the waistband for the braces/suspenders. While a marking is given on the pattern, it's only for one size, and doesn't indicate where the buttons should be for larger sizes. Does anyone have any guidance about where to put them?

Thanks!

Betsy Connolly
Living History Society of Minnesota
In The Past Lane - my blog
Joseph Stevens
Dedicated Scribbler

Baby sister and I, Cheadle Lake, May 2012

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 02:57:09 PM »

From page 118 of The Victorian Tailor by Jason Maclochlainn:
A good rule to follow is to place the first brace button on the top-side about 1/8 in. from the half-waist measure from the front of the fly edge on the left leg and the same amount from the catch seam on the right side. Then place the second brace button 4-4 1/2 in. away towards the side seam. For the distance from the top, a good rule to follow is to mark the center of the button 1/4 in. plus half the button diameter for pants from the 1850s onwards.

Joseph Stevens

"Oh, I like tedious, practical subjects. What I don't like are tedious, practical people." -Oscar Wilde; An Ideal Husband
BetsyConnolly
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 08:10:15 PM »

That is exactly the information I needed - and in great detail. Thank you, Joseph!

Betsy Connolly
Living History Society of Minnesota
In The Past Lane - my blog
Jim_Ruley
Senior Research
Scribblor Infinitus

Tailor at work

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 08:54:43 PM »

If you only use one brace button per front, I put mine halfway between the finished edge of the fly opening and the side seam on the left, and an equal distance from the side seam on the right.  I put the back buttons 2" from the finished edges of the vent opening on each side.

I don't remember where I got this from, but it seems to work well, at least for my waist size Smiley.  If anyone knows of a written rule for single front brace buttons, please enlighten us.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: