Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bonnet Mockup  (Read 3898 times)
Michaela C
Frequent Scribbler

« on: November 30, 2015, 07:18:15 PM »

I just bought a Timely Tresses kit! Do I need to do a mockup before cutting into the buckram? If so, how?

My soul is fed with needle and thread!
Jessamyn
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 08:08:38 PM »

I made a mockup using cardstock, a.k.a. the opened-out box of a 24-can fridge pack of Coke. It was very helpful to see how the pattern would work on my combination of long (front-to-back) but narrow (side-to-side) skull and small roundish face.
Maggie Koenig
Research
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 07:08:39 AM »

Yes, make a mockup!!  Tagboard works wonders.  Do it over your typical period styled hair.

Maggie Koenig
Gettysburg, PA

"If you can't make it good, you can at least make it shiny!"
Michaela C
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 12:54:51 PM »

OK, thanks! That worked well; I used poster board.

I have a question: I bought a Timely Tresses kit, and included a blocked tip. Do I need to wire and bind it? The instructions don't really say how to attach a blocked tip; do I whip it on, or slightly overlap and use a running stitch?

EKorsmo
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 03:03:40 PM »

When I've made up their 1850s/60s kits, I've wired and bound all edges of the crown, but not the tip itself.  As I recall, the instructions have you join the back ends of the crown, and then sort of fit the crown over the blocked tip so that it fills the gap; there's a little bit of overlap between the two pieces, and I'm pretty sure I used a running stitch to join them.

Michaela C
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 07:52:05 PM »

Ok thanks! That helps.

Another question: I wasn't paying attention, and forgot to starch the netting for the brim. It feels a little late to take it off; how big of a deal is that?

Michaela C
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2015, 06:08:05 PM »

I have another question, and this may be matter of opinion. I'm ready to make the bonnet cap, and the instructions say that netting is okay to use. I think the kit was supposed to come with two different kinds of net, but they both felt and looked the same to me. I'm having a hard time picturing it, but Huh

The other question is does the bonnet cap go just across the top, or all the way around the inside of the brim?

OK, OK, this really is the last question. How come it appears that the headlining isn't attached to the tip on the inside of the bonnet in the pictures?

Jessamyn
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 01:34:52 PM »

The cap goes partway round. How far depends somewhat on fashion and what other trimmings you have in there. Look at fashion plates for ideas.

On the headlining, are you talking about the part that's attached at the near-front but loose at the back, over the top and sides of the head? That's apparently How It Was Done. Check out some of the wonderful extant examples at Mrs. Parker's Millinery.

http://www.victorianbonnets.com/drawncreamspoon.htm

On the netting: Can you post pics?
Michaela C
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2015, 11:49:20 AM »

Thanks for the links! Hmm...I already tacked the headlining down. It feels less likely it will catch on hair when sewn down, so that's weird. Oh well.

On the netting, the ladies over at Timely Tresses were wonderful in answering my questions. The netting used in the construction is too large to use for the cap, so I need to find something else. Other than that, it's done. I'll get some pics up in a bit.

Jessamyn
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 08:53:00 PM »

Looking forward to it!  Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: