Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1830-1840's corset/stays  (Read 919 times)
Mrs Johnson
Frequent Scribbler

« on: November 29, 2015, 06:01:41 PM »

does anyone have a decent pattern for this era?

and i know the 40's have a lower waistline than the 60's, how do i achieve that?  i'm a slightly short waisted hourglass, my hips are very prominent lol. 

~ Jennifer
EKorsmo
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 06:43:25 PM »

There's a diagram in the Workwoman's Guide (instructions start on page 81, illustration on plate 11/page 76), if you're up for scaling that.  I haven't tried it, but Past Patterns has a corded stay pattern c. 1830s/40s.

Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 09:16:48 AM »

Gussets will be your best friend. They allow you to have a stable, minimally curved "window" just above the waist, but have maximum and sudden hip expansion (and great bust support!)

You'll only be able to do so much with the corset; the rest of the line comes from an armscye that is very high under the armpit, keeping the bodice smooth from the outer third of the bust to the side seams, and pushing the fashion waist down--a few dresses are even slightly curved back *out* for a smidge below the actual waist! With sudden hips, that's a hard one to do, but the longer side lines up into the armpit help a lot, as does a very lifted bust, moving the fullest point of the bust quite a bit further up toward the mid/top of the armpit crease.

Regards,
Elizabeth
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: