Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Silk Waist Lacing  (Read 2433 times)
Allison vV
Dedicated Scribbler

« on: November 24, 2015, 10:33:46 PM »

I will be making a simple black taffeta waist to be worn over a fine sheer bodice this December, and I have a question. What should I use for the lacing? I ran a search but only found these two posts on bodice lacing to be applicable:

http://thesewingacademy.org/index.php?topic=6926.msg100790#msg100790
http://thesewingacademy.org/index.php?topic=8795.msg124324#msg124324

What would have been used in the period? Silk ribbon; waxed cotton cord? Embroidery floss was mentioned as an option. I could twist and wax it, as with this buttonhole gimp.

Allison van Vegten

"Procrastination is the thief of time. Collar him!" Charles Dickens

"It's the job that's never started as takes longest to finish." J. R. R. Tolkien
EKorsmo
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 07:03:09 PM »

I use narrow (1/8"-1/4") silk satin ribbon on my Swiss waist and ballgown bodice.  This original belonging to Katherine (sorry, forgot the last name) appears to lace with a cord, but it's not noted whether it's original to the garment.  Likewise, the originals at The Graceful Lady mostly seem to have cords--where any laces are still present--but they may or may not be original to the garment.

Allison vV
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 09:02:28 PM »

Thank you so much. I think that I will go with a silk ribbon then.

I am curious, though, what the cords where made of in the period. Where they waxed cotton? Silk wrapped cotton?

Allison van Vegten

"It's the job that's never started as takes longest to finish." J. R. R. Tolkien
Jessamyn
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 04:24:40 PM »

I think silk on a cotton core, but I haven't dissected one.
Maggie Koenig
Research
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 05:29:06 PM »

I've yet to come across an original cord that I would say was waxed in any way.  Most of them are a twisted silk or high sheen cotton cord.

Maggie Koenig
Gettysburg, PA

"If you can't make it good, you can at least make it shiny!"
Allison vV
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 09:38:03 PM »

Thank you so much, ladies. I wonder if a cord like that could be found today . . .

Something to look into. Smiley

Allison van Vegten

Allison vV
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 01:11:04 PM »

I have a different question relating to lacing, now. Is ribbon suitable for corset lacing? The reason I ask is Vogue Fabric (from whom I may order my supplies) has one cotton corset cord, but it doesn't look nearly as strong as the Canadian Farthingales one.

[whisper] I might use poly ribbon just until I can order better lacing . . . Shocked

Allison van Vegten

Maggie Koenig
Research
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 05:53:08 PM »

Corset lacing has a hair bit of give to it and its weave makes it pretty strong.  Ribbon won't hold up to the strain on pulling or the possibility of snagging on a stray bit of rough grommet.

Maggie Koenig
Gettysburg, PA

"If you can't make it good, you can at least make it shiny!"
Allison vV
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 07:06:19 PM »

Thank you, Mrs. Koenig; I didn't know that. Does anyone think the cord from Vogue will be strong enough? Their corset supplies are from Farthingales (US).

Allison van Vegten

Ginger Lane
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 04:47:35 PM »

If it's intended for corset lacing and it's from Farthingale's, I'd rely on it.

I don't know if it's period (or when it stopped being period) but 1/4" linen tape is also quite strong. I have to lace my 18th century stays much tighter than my 19th century foundations, and it works just fine. I have broken 1/4" cotton tape, though, so I wouldn't go that route! (FWIW... 1/8" poly satin ribbon is just about unbreakable. Desperation solution for a 17th century bodice that reduced me about 5".)

Allison vV
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 04:58:38 PM »

Thank you so much! I hadn't thought of linen tape (something does say 18th century, though). I'll have to look for original references; I'd love to know more about what "they" used for lacing -- lacings don't seem to accompany their original garments as often as other things do. Smiley

I'm going to wear my corset mock-up for the first night at Ward Hall and reuse some of my short corset cord; that way, I can wait for the Farthingales supplies.

It's nice to know that the poly ribbon will work in a pinch Wink.

Allison van Vegten

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: