Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gestational/ Nursing Stays/Corset  (Read 3072 times)
Megan Roth
« on: November 06, 2015, 06:23:40 PM »

I was wondering for 1860's what is the more appropriate option: stays like the Past Pattern gestational stays or a normal corset pattern modified with flaps on the bust and lacing for the tummy? My first trimester is over in a little over two weeks so I would like to get one made soon so I can wear it when my current corset doesn't fit anymore during pregnancy and then for nursing afterwords. Or is this just insane to do since I will not have many reenactments between now and June 2 (due date) and only plan on breast feeding for a year? Should I just wear a wrapper and use no support instead?
Heidi Hollister
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 01:36:38 PM »

I can speak from my own personal experience.  Every pregnancy is different so your mileage may vary.

I designed and sewed my own gestational corset (similar to the past patterns one, but using seams suggested by a us patent.)  I also wore my regular corset.  I was pregnant with twins and in spite of that I was able to wear my normal corset until about 6 months by loosening the lacing at the bottom to expand over my belly.  As the belly grew, I unhooked some of my front busk to go over the top, then finally switched to my maternity corset for the remainder of my pregnancy (Which did not go full term, so I can't speak to being 9 months pregnant while wearing one)  I do wish I had put boning in the back of my gestational stay instead of just cording because I felt that it did not quite give me the support I wanted while carrying twins.

As far as nursing, I made my gestational corset prepared for nursing, but ultimately I found that personally I preferred wearing my ordinary corset and popping the breast up and over the top to feed my children.  I did alter my chemises to accommodate breastfeeding with buttons in the front, but other than that I didn't do much else.

As I said, your mileage may vary, so find what works for you, but that's my story.

Semper Sewus Historicana!
Maggie Koenig
Research
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 12:05:32 PM »

I've spoken with several women who thought they would need a nursing corset and found their regular one just fine to use while nursing.

Like Heidi, I was wearing my regular dresses and corsets until I was 6-7 months along.  I was back in my old dresses and corset less than two months after birth.

Maggie Koenig
Gettysburg, PA

"If you can't make it good, you can at least make it shiny!"
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 12:08:29 PM »

Sometimes the lacing plackets in the lower abdomen of a gestational stay are REALLY comfy; I had a friend who wouldn't take off the demo corset from a fashion demonstration when she was in her 8th month. Cheesy

Functionally, I've done four pregnancies and four nurslings in a regular corset; I stopped snugging up below the waist to accomodate the bump, and popped out the top for nursing. Again, personal preference!

Regards,
Elizabeth
Sarah K.
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 06:14:50 PM »

I am also due in June! I'm seriously considering making a gestational corset, partly because my weight fluctuations and size changes pre-pregnancy already made my other corset fit less well, and also because my stomach is so sensitive to pressure I feel like having the corset only snug through the ribs and looser below would be a lot more comfortable. However, I'm daunted by the idea of sewing a support garment, which I have not yet attempted. Have people found that having a pattern to start with (like past patterns) makes sewing it easier?

I put my bashfulness in my pocket, and plunge into a long conversation on the war, the weather, music, Carlyle, skating, genius, hoops, and the immortality of the soul. Hospital Sketches Alcott
Heidi Hollister
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 09:50:35 PM »

I promise you, making a corset is not as hard as it sounds.  I think a lot of us are scared of it at first.  I know I was.  Think of it as making a bodice that fits nice and snugly and it won't seem so scary.

Semper Sewus Historicana!
Sarah K.
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 03:37:41 PM »

...I'm sure I could learn...  Huh

To be honest, it's also tricky just to find time. But that's true of all my sewing projects!

Thanks for the reassurance.  Smiley

I put my bashfulness in my pocket, and plunge into a long conversation on the war, the weather, music, Carlyle, skating, genius, hoops, and the immortality of the soul. Hospital Sketches Alcott
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: