Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone seen a sale on Pima?  (Read 5559 times)
BarbaraSmith
Scribblor Infinitus

I'm clueless, but competitive! ~ Trish Roseburg

« on: October 18, 2015, 05:03:53 PM »

Hey there, friend of mine from an older time period is wanting to start doing mid-19thC at a historic house in our town. She needs EVERYTHING. Luckily, she's skilled in fiber arts from her previous incarnation, but some things are gonna be new - like corsetry.  Wink Yes, I've sent her here and all the other links she needs, and she's coming to my house in a few to play dress up in my closet.  Cheesy

Anyway, first things first. She needs undies. Anyone seen a sale on Pima they want to share with me?

Many thanks!
Auntie B

Auntie B says: "I may look like Aunt Pitty-Pat, but I have the soul of Belle Watling," and "Since I can't be a good example, then I'm just gonna have to be a horrible warning."
Heidi Hollister
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 01:22:09 PM »

Not lately.  Sorry.  Not wanting to do muslin starters?

Semper Sewus Historicana!
Trish B
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 04:23:42 PM »

http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/cotton/pimatex-cotton-pfd-45-inch-wide.html
This is a pretty good deal if she is wanting to buy enough for several pettis at once.    trish B.
Michaela Richmond
Developing Scribbler

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 06:51:30 PM »

I've been on the lookout for a good pima cotton deal also. I saw the Dharma Trading Pimatex but the website says "fabric is off-white"  Undecided

Your humble servant,
Miss Michaela Richmond
Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/farmingdaughter/
Blog: http://thefarmingdaughter.com/
EKorsmo
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 08:46:41 PM »

How off-white, I wonder.  Perhaps some bleach would brighten it?

Trish B
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 05:20:58 AM »

I bought some unbleached once at a store, and it was barely off-white, not beige like unbleached muslin. After being bleached in the laundry it was as white as my other pettis. YMMV
If there is time, ordering a sample might be reassuring.
Ginger Lane
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 05:35:21 AM »

All of my pimatex is from Dharma, and the off-white doesn't bother me; it's scarcely noticeable, except when next to paper or something bright white. It is like Trish says, just barely off-white, absolutely nothing like unbleached. It was a perfect match for some vintage whitework, actually. I haven't tried bleaching it but I'm sure it would be fine.

Maggie Koenig
Research
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 07:04:32 AM »

Dharma caters to the paint and dye crowd.  For them not bright optical white is off white as the slightly darker shade could have and affect on the final dye color.

Maggie Koenig
Gettysburg, PA

"If you can't make it good, you can at least make it shiny!"
Michaela Richmond
Developing Scribbler

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2015, 02:47:59 PM »

That's good to know, thanks ladies!

Your humble servant,
Miss Michaela Richmond
Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/farmingdaughter/
Blog: http://thefarmingdaughter.com/
MaryDee
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 07:38:15 PM »

I just checked fabric.com--they have white Kaufman Pimatex for $6.48 per yard.  A few months ago, I bought some (at $6.99/yd) and it's lovely!  https://www.fabric.com/buy/fn-305/pimatex-solid-white  I don't know if the $6.48 is a sale or a permanent price reduction, but I assume it's the former.   Whether this is a bargain over the Dharma Trading pimatex depends on whether she needs a whole bolt.  

The question is, will she be wearing those underthings frequently enough to justify the higher-price fabric?  Mine get only 3-4 wearings per year, not enough to justify the price of pimatex.  I got the pimatex because I wanted to have one really nice tucked petticoat (which came out quite well if you don't inspect the tucks too closely  Cheesy).  Otherwise I used the better quality muslin for my underthings.  
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 07:42:28 PM by MaryDee » Logged
Dana Repp
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 10:14:30 AM »

Fabric.com seems to have the best price on it right now. If she's never shopped them before and gives them her email they usually give you a 20% off coupon for your first purchase.  The off white pima you and I bought a few years back bleached out to a lovely snow white.  Then again we only paid 3 and change a yard for it.

~Dana~

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters
Col. 3:23
BetsyConnolly
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 08:21:26 PM »

The question is, will she be wearing those underthings frequently enough to justify the higher-price fabric?  Mine get only 3-4 wearings per year, not enough to justify the price of pimatex.  I got the pimatex because I wanted to have one really nice tucked petticoat (which came out quite well if you don't inspect the tucks too closely  Cheesy).  Otherwise I used the better quality muslin for my underthings.  

Yes, the higher-quality pima cotton is always a better choice. I say this as the girl who was making below minimum wage in an internship for two years, and made all my undergarments out of the "better quality" muslin at Joanns.

Here's a small list of the reasons (some subjective) I like Pimatex better:

• It doesn't stretch out of grain, which makes it easier to cut and sew - everything just sews up nicer when the fabric quality is better.
  • It even irons more nicely. Your hems will work better. Your felled seems will look nicer. Your fabric will behave better.
  • This may be anecdotal, but it seems like I have fewer "blow-out" rips when I use Pimatex versus muslin. It just seems to hold up better.
  • My muslin undergarments start to "wilt" and get pilled with very few wearings. Because Pimatex uses longer-staple cotton, it stays looking nicer, keeps from pilling and keeps its "crisp" feeling longer.
  • Pimatex is lightweight, but it has enough body that it's not totally sheer. Muslin is lightweight, but that lightness comes from it being rather threadbare, so it's got this sheerness to it that makes me feel rather exposed

In the end, even if you only plan on using the undergarments twice a year, you'll still win out in the long-run. The muslin will just wear out faster (and I mean really fast - I've had undergarments I wore five times before they started getting bedraggled) and you'll need to replace it anyway. Pimatex isn't really that expensive - it's about $3/yard more expensive than the Joann's permanent press muslin, and considering that you'll end up replacing them much sooner, you'll save yourself the labor.

That's just my little commercial for Pimatex, from a woman who has been there with muslin undergarments Smiley

Betsy Connolly
Living History Society of Minnesota
In The Past Lane - my blog
MaryDee
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2015, 02:58:15 PM »

Well, it's true that since I'm about to turn 80, I most likely will be reenacting for only a few more years.  That said, my muslin chemises, despite my lousy sewing (especially the first one, the first garment I'd sewn in 30 years) are holding up just fine after three years.  After a couple of  washings, they became nice and soft, which, for a garment next to my skin, suits me just fine!  I also prefer the more porous fabric in hot weather.  Hopefully, nobody is going to see my chemises anyway, at least they'd better not!   Cheesy

If I were going to be wearing them more frequently, though, I'd definitely use the higher quality fabric.    Petticoats are another story.  I definitely wouldn't want muslin petticoats, both for looks (since they do show occasionally) and the need for more body (the better fabric absorbs more starch).
MaryDee
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2015, 04:04:33 PM »

Looks as though fabric.com's Kaufman Pimatex is back uo to $6.98/yard.  Grrr!
EKorsmo
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2015, 05:57:54 PM »

And now it's on sale at $6.63 through Friday the 27th (at fabric.com).

Jessamyn
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 08:44:36 PM »

HEY! I just discovered that Mary Jo's (a fabled giant warehouse fabric store near Charlotte, NC, that I've heard of but never visited) is selling pimatex on-line, in white and PFD nearly-white, for $5.99 a yard!

http://maryjos.com/store/search.aspx

Since I'm in North Carolina I have to pay about $5 in tax, and what with ordering 10 yards it's not as much cheaper than Dharma as it could be, but it is a bit better and should get here faster than from the other side of the country. Those of you in another state and/or ordering a smaller quantity would benefit more.

This is an especially welcome discover since Fabric.com seems to have removed plain white pimatex from their site altogether!
Jessamyn
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2015, 08:33:41 AM »

Oops! Turns out they're out of white-white pimatex (which I had ordered), but the PFD white is on the truck and arriving within a week, so I swapped. I will say they were very good about calling me right away and laying out my options.

The inventory lady and I both kept calling it "PDF white," though!  Cheesy
MaryDee
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2015, 02:57:36 PM »

It seems that Robert Kaufman, the manufacturer, has discontinued Pimatex.  Aargh.  Source:http://fabricaddictions.blogspot.com/2010/08/pimatex-no-longer-available.html   EDIT:  OOPS, that's very out-of-date news!  However, white pimatex seems to be in very short supply right now. I decided to wait for the 2 yards I need until after the holidays.

However, there are other sources of Pima cotton broadcloth, which is basically the same stuff--long-staple cotton fiber.  Unfortunately a quick google came up with several sources at $8.49-8.98 per yard, the "cheaper" being at Vogue Fabrics.    

I checked Supima, which is supposed to be the creme de la creme of cottons.  Unfortunately that fabric seems to come mostly in knit.  
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 06:12:30 PM by MaryDee » Logged
Ginger Lane
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2015, 07:02:48 AM »

Mary Dee, the link specifies that "Pimatex Parfait," the "dainty light pink" used by the author for doll faces, has been discontinued. The post is from August 2010, too. So maybe this doesn't affect our PFD and bleached white Pimatex! Smiley

MaryDee
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2015, 06:09:20 PM »

Ouch, I blew it!  I will edit my previous post if I can. Last time I checked (a  week ago), it wasn't available anywhere.  However, yesterday I couldn't find plain white (or any other solid color) Pimatex on fabric.com, and no way to order it on the Kaufman site, so of course I thought that was the explanation.  Others have it but higher-priced, except for the bolt from Dharma that needs to be bleached.  I may try that  North Carolina source--I need only 2 yards.

Whatever the cause, white pimatex seems to be in very short supply!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: