Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sleeping in Nightcaps  (Read 1764 times)
Elaine M
Frequent Scribbler

« on: October 13, 2015, 10:45:27 AM »

October greetings, one and all!

As we head into the colder weather, I find it more essential to sleep with my head covered.  Does anyone have any advice about how to keep a nightcap in place?  I roll around when I sleep.  Before I go to bed, I tightly tie my nightcap under my chin, to the point of near gagging.  In the morning, I wake to find it hanging off my head, still tied around my neck.  How do I keep this thing on?

Many thanks for your ideas!

Elaine Masciale
EKorsmo
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 04:05:27 PM »

Mine stays in place by itself somehow (perhaps magic?), so I can't speak from experience.  However, this style from Peterson's August '59 (page 212 if the link doesn't direct there) claims to "remain securely upon the head"; it has a string run all around the brim, adjustable from the center back edge. I recall Liz's infant cap pattern having a similar feature.

Elaine M
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 08:49:13 PM »

Now that's an interesting idea.  I wonder if I could somehow Frankenstein - er - modify the ones I've made?

Elaine
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 12:05:12 PM »

Elaine, if yours have a hemmed front edge, you can run a string inside the hem. You can also add a tuck (very small) to admit a string, and then run it into the hem at the neckline.

If you're really a mover when you sleep, though, you might find a bit of a wool shawl is more practical--it can drape over the top of the pillow, and you stay "under cover" a bit more that way.

Regards,
Elizabeth
Heidi Hollister
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 02:48:35 AM »

Elaine, I also have this problem.  Not that I've found a solution, but you're not the only one.  I'll have to try making up the Peterson's one and see if that helps...

Semper Sewus Historicana!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: