Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hat sweatband  (Read 6628 times)
BetsyConnolly
Veteran Scribbler

« on: September 05, 2015, 02:50:45 PM »

I have a gentleman friend who is interested in getting involved in reenacting! We're starting on a wardrobe for him, with a planned completion date of May 2016 (he's in law school so fall, winter and spring are out). We've acquired a straw hat for him that's just a smidge too small - I think we can use a hat stretcher to make it a wee bit bigger.

I'd also like to take out the hat band, which is (I think?) silk ribbon and is a little bulky (almost like it might be padded underneath). I'd like to replace it with leather. How does one go about such a thing?

Thanks in advance!

Betsy Connolly
Living History Society of Minnesota
In The Past Lane - my blog
Chip
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 06:09:23 PM »

What you find inside an original hat made of straw, palm or similar materials was usually determined by the quality of the materials that the hat was manufactured with in the first place.
The craftsmanship was also a factor. Many Summer hats were imported from South America and Central America.

So, determine what economic class your are trying to represent and adjust as such.

Maggie Koenig
Research
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 06:48:01 PM »

Hat bands are a thin leather, cut neatly top and bottom then sewing into the hat with really small whip stitches.  Small as in barely visible, not small as in 20 of them to the inch.

Maggie Koenig
Gettysburg, PA

"If you can't make it good, you can at least make it shiny!"
BetsyConnolly
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 07:10:12 PM »

Hat bands are a thin leather, cut neatly top and bottom then sewing into the hat with really small whip stitches.  Small as in barely visible, not small as in 20 of them to the inch.

Any particular kind of leather?

Betsy Connolly
Living History Society of Minnesota
In The Past Lane - my blog
Sherry Key
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 07:20:45 AM »

I used to work for a western hat (as in cowboy) craftsman.  Their preference for sweatbands was sheepskin.  I don't think the type of leather is critical but rather how thin it is.  Also be aware of the dye technique used and do test it.  Nothing worse than sweating in a hat, taking it off and having a black or brown stain on your forehead.

Another tip is don't cut the length exactly as depending on your stitching technique, can either grown or shrink.  I usually cut them a bit longer and then trim it as I get down to the last inch or so.  Maggie is right about the stitches, very small.   Also, just sew the bottom edge where the crown and brim meet.  The usual ribbon hatband (on the outside) will cover any that may show.  And don't stretch it as you go...leather sweatbands will shrink if left in a hot car for very long, especially if it is wet when you take it off.

Hope this helps.
Sherry Key.

Sherry Key
South Carolina
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: