Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is your favorite "Needful Thing"?  (Read 5369 times)
BetsyConnolly
Veteran Scribbler

« on: August 19, 2015, 08:14:01 AM »

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've discovered that there are surprising little things I collect in my mid-19th century material culture/gear that I didn't know I needed so badly. They're things that both add to my impression, look cool, serve a functional purpose and make things easier.

Case in point: tiny notebooks. A local historic site sells bitty handbound notebooks covered in marbled paper. They're about 4" x 3", just enough to jot down a note here or there and small enough to slip into a dress or apron pocket. I've bought three of these types of notebooks and continue to find uses for them. I can keep track of an event schedule in it. I can note down research bugs in the heat of the moment. If I get bored, I can draw a little sketch or doodle. I stocked up on a few more this past weekend so that I can always have one handy.

What are everyone else's "needful things"?

Betsy Connolly
Living History Society of Minnesota
In The Past Lane - my blog
Maggie Koenig
Research
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 08:36:28 AM »

The Notebook is a great idea.  I'm always searching for a slip of paper at an event.

Maggie Koenig
Gettysburg, PA

"If you can't make it good, you can at least make it shiny!"
Heidi Hollister
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 09:28:13 AM »

A parasol.  Until Betsy introduced me to them in the flesh, I always considered them silly fripperies.  I am converted. Sun shade exactly where you want it, and it won't induce hat hair.

Semper Sewus Historicana!
EKorsmo
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 10:34:43 AM »

Handkerchief.  Used it for everything from a purse (knotting up stray coins and buttons), to a ball, to a bandage.  Rarely for the intended purpose though.

BetsyConnolly
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 03:29:22 PM »

Handkerchief.  Used it for everything from a purse (knotting up stray coins and buttons), to a ball, to a bandage.  Rarely for the intended purpose though.

I was just thinking this weekend about the things we use handkerchiefs for, and how rarely it is used for blowing one's nose.

A parasol.  Until Betsy introduced me to them in the flesh, I always considered them silly fripperies.  I am converted. Sun shade exactly where you want it, and it won't induce hat hair.

I didn't know about it until I tried it myself! As a fair-skinned redhead, I consider parasols a necessity. I spent the whole weekend in a fort with barely any shade, and I'm not sunburned at all!

The Notebook is a great idea.  I'm always searching for a slip of paper at an event.

I know that Ezra Barnhouse has some occasionally, and I think The Button Baron has some as well. What I really need is a small pencil...one that won't poke up out of my pocket.

Betsy Connolly
Living History Society of Minnesota
In The Past Lane - my blog
Ms. Jean
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 03:55:43 PM »

Small pencil: my church uses golf pencils in the pew racks.  Perhaps a golf pencil could be sanded or rounded?  We currently have pencils sans advertising, but for a while had spelling-error pencils, cheap cheap cheap if you need a gross.

Enjoying the topic,

Ms. Jean

Ms. Jean
Route 66
Muriel Carbiener
Dedicated Scribbler

"Hannah Perkins" at The High Desert Museum.

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 02:57:22 AM »

My spectacles.  Mine are antiques, and do not help me see at all.  I don't have a need to be able to read when doing LH, and I do not want to change the lenses since they are an antique.  I just let them slide down my nose and look over the top.  Since I have been wearing glasses for sixty years I need to feel something on my nose, and they are a great tool to get children who wear glasses to compare theirs to mine.   

Muriel
Stephanie Brennan
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 05:38:17 AM »

Double on spectacles. My originals are better than my everyday. I really like the glass and small frame size. My small sewing basket with bodkin, scissors, needles, thread and so much more.
Dana Repp
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 02:54:21 PM »

Housewife because someone is always falling apart.  Smiley

~Dana~

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters
Col. 3:23
Miss Whitlock
Developing Scribbler

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 10:29:02 PM »

Definitely my hussif; I not only end up fixing my own outfit but many others. And it is adorable and fun to use, and that certainly contributes to it being "favorite". :-)
Dana Repp
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2015, 09:50:32 AM »

One more: pocket watch otherwise I miss being where I'm supposed to be!

~Dana~

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters
Col. 3:23
Jessamyn
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2015, 05:53:29 PM »

Summer: A fan. So simple, so compact, such a relief! When my brain is working, I remember to bring one with me to my modern Scottish and English country dances, too. That technology ain't broke!

Winter: A small shawl. A little bit of lightweight wool folds down into nothing but makes all the difference as that extra buffer against the cold, and can be loaned to desperate persons of any shape and size.
mmescher
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 06:00:53 PM »

In the reproduction books portion of our website, www.raggedsoldier.com  we have Blank notebooks.  We currently aren't able to get lined notebooks with marbled paper covers.  We also have some notebooks with a synthetic cover which so closely simulates leather with stitching that you have to really look closely before you can determine the stitching isn't real.  We only have those in unlined.  In the sundries portion there may be some "needful things" you haven't thought of.  And, of course, there is always chocolate!

Michael Mescher
Ragged Soldier Sutlery
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: