Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need Plan B ideas quick!  (Read 3008 times)
Heidi Hollister
Scribblor Infinitus

« on: August 12, 2015, 09:33:03 AM »

After a year of planning and 2 months of hard work, the trip we planned to take to Minnesota for Home Sweet Home was suddenly, involuntarily canceled for us after our transmission blew.  I have a girl who traveled 500 miles to go to this event and now I have nothing for her.  I have no transportation to anything and I still want to make this a great period experience for her, and me.  Can you help me brainstorm? 

Here's what I have available to me:

5 miles up the road is a town.  I can get a ride that far probably.  There is something going on at our tiny museum, but I'd say it's quite a bit less than an "event".  There are blacksmiths and its a promotional gig between several museums.  There will be booths set up in the park, but I doubt any of them will really be period or even related.  I'm going to contact the organizers to see if we still have time to participate, but being THIS weekend, and the thing is entirely volunteer run, I may not be able to catch them or be "official".

I might be able to pull off a picnic with the food I already prepared for the event, but I want to do something more if possible.  Here's where you come in.  I haven't got a croquet set and I know NO ONE in town as I'm the new kid on the block here. 

Semper Sewus Historicana!
EKorsmo
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 04:53:56 PM »

How awful.  I'm so sorry about your travel plans getting derailed like that.

For a stopgap measure, I usually like to pull out the parlor games; for most, you just need a small group of people and some chairs to sit on (and you can rope in spectators if there are only a couple reenactors)--barnyard animals, 1-2-3-Merry Christmas, Packing a Trunk, etc..

Heidi Hollister
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 06:51:36 PM »

I've never been to this thing, I know no one, I don't think there are any reenactors per se, besides blacksmiths who, as far as I can tell, do not wear period attire.  I don't expect any massive crowd here as we're just a town of 2,000.  We might be the only reenactors, but I couldn't say for sure.

I like the parlor game idea.  Smiley

I forgot to mention, our "group" of Carpe Diem reenactors will include myself, a 17 year old girl, and twin 4 year olds.  My husband might be persuaded to join if I bat my eyes and he feels bad enough about the spoiled trip...

Muriel Carbiener
Dedicated Scribbler

"Hannah Perkins" at The High Desert Museum.

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 06:44:49 AM »

I have no suggestions.  If I lived closer I'd Get Gail to bring me, and I'd do this with you.
Muriel
Dana Repp
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 08:18:02 AM »

Heidi, dress up, bring your picnic lunch and invite your public into your parlor games. There are usually a few less than enthralled kids wandering around that would love to try out 19th century games.

~Dana~

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters
Col. 3:23
Trish B
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 08:37:24 AM »

I agree with the parlor games idea. A few of the members of our dance group goes to a summer camp at another historic site to do party play games for the kids. The age range is from about 5 to 12, and we have a  few older kids as camp helpers. Sometimes the kids take a few minutes to get used to the idea, then they really get into it and have a great time. We mix active games or dances  with quieter ones, and sometimes throw in a quick lesson on bowing or dance etiquette.  The camp director says our visit is one thing the kids ask for every year. I was not able to go this year and I really missed it!
Even reading a quick fairy tale or fable  while having the kids act out the parts goes over well at our festivals. It takes a very few props to get the kids interested. An animal pelt, apron, wooden pail, or something  else pertaining to the story will make it come alive for them.  I have had kids talking to me at an event tell me  about how a few years ago they were able to be in one of the stories and  how much fun it was.
I hope you have a great time!   trish B
Heidi Hollister
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 11:03:50 AM »

Well, it's all over.  We were "it" for anything living history oriented and most people were really more interested in getting their little passports stamped and collecting all their museums for the weekend and leaving, but a few of them stayed long enough to chat.  Didn't really turn out to have much of a chance for parlor games, alas, but maybe next year.  It was certainly no Home Sweet Home, but we did our best.

Trish B
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 01:26:14 PM »

It was good of you to share your time and talent. I'm sure the  visitors enjoyed seeing you there.  trish B.
Heidi Hollister
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 02:10:25 PM »

One of the visitors was kind enough to say that our museum was the best one they'd been to the whole weekend.  Not really sure how we got that status, as I know there were a whole SLEW of bigger museums with more volunteers and more resources on the visit list.

Dana Repp
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 09:03:51 AM »

To be chosen as the "best" museum: it's not quantity it's all about the quality. How you deliver the history makes people love it and want to know more. So be glad you're part of the quality that people notice and appreciate.   

~Dana~

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters
Col. 3:23
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: