Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Linen Frock Coat  (Read 2803 times)
Doug Frank
« on: August 05, 2015, 08:41:54 AM »

Hello everyone,

I know we are already at mid to late summer, and this is unlikely to be finished before Christmas, but here we go.

Here is the start of a linen frock, pattern created from Devere using James Williams' excellent tutorials. It took three separate close wrapper drafts and a full pattern muslin to get to here.  This is just the start if a skeleton baste of the linen, just as a final check of fit and to see exactly where the skirt, side body, and back come together.

More to come!

Doug

Jim_Ruley
Senior Research
Scribblor Infinitus

Tailor at work

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 10:50:33 AM »

Hi Doug,

It looks like you have matched the raw back edge of the skirt to the edge of the side body at the waist seam.  That doesn't leave any material to turn back for the pleat.

Are you adding lapels later, or is the extra material at the front edge of the skirt all intended to be turned back as facing?

Thanks,

Jim R.
Doug Frank
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 11:30:42 AM »

Hello Jim! 

I would like to take the opportunity to thank you as well for being the first to really help explain Devere!s graduated measures.  Without your help I would never have made it very far.

The picture does make it look like that is the case, a combination of bad picture angle and not so great basting on my part.  The seam of the side and front bodies are meant to line up on a dart in the skirt, and there will be 5/8" on the skirt, with another 1/2" for the seam, so 5/8" depth on the pleat, if that makes any sense.

Some of that extra material on the front is there for turning back, there is some inlay there as well, just in case.

Doug
Jim_Ruley
Senior Research
Scribblor Infinitus

Tailor at work

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 03:32:13 PM »

I figured you had worked it out since you had already fitted a muslin, but just wanted to check.  Without a closeup of the area it's hard to see what's going on.

Glad to hear my explanation was helpful, and I'm looking forward to seeing your progress!

Thanks,

Jim R.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: