Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Expressions of joy and success  (Read 1657 times)
Sue Leurgans
Veteran Scribbler

« on: July 27, 2015, 06:29:25 PM »

Attended a recent event where a few ladies shot some arrows. When hitting the yellow, red or blue ( 9pts, 7pts and 5pts) we would sometimes use an modern expression of joy. 

After using my own modern expression of joy (yes) I asked others if they could think of an appropriate expression. One lady did suggest Huzzah.    As a Southern Civilian I never get to use that word, so for the amusement of it, I did try it out. Cheesy      No spectators were present, so were not giving anyone the wrong idea.

I'm not language oriented, so what would be an appropriate expression of joy and success?

Sue Leurgans
AKA Miss Lawrence
"The secret of happiness is something to do" - John Burroughs
MaryDee
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 07:54:01 PM »

I have read, but definitely cannot confirm, that while the word is spelled "Huzzah," it's actually pronounced "Hurrah."  I've seen an equal number of assertions to the contrary.  None of these assertions either way were documented.  With no recordings from that era, we may never know!  As far as I know, the Library of Congress never recorded ancient CW veterans cheering "Huzzah" or "Hoorah" as they did with the rebel yell.   

Would it be too unladylike to imitate the soldiers and do "Three rousing cheers and a tiger"? 
Jessamyn
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 03:22:15 PM »

"Huzzah" was a much earlier expression (like, Elizabethan), and a quick search of Google Books 1855-65 turns up a number of incidences of "hurray" and "hooray" in contemporary usage but only poetical and historical uses of "huzzah," so I would personally avoid that one.

"Oh, nicely done!" is an appropriate comment.
Sue Leurgans
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 04:37:24 PM »

The huzzah was just an amusement for the moment.

Nicely done, will work well to compliment others successes, but not something one might say about ones own success.  Though hooray would be far better than Yes.  I will have practice hooray. Thanks Jessamyn.

If another expression comes to light, I would be glad to know it.

Sue Leurgans
AKA Miss Lawrence
"The secret of happiness is something to do" - John Burroughs
Dana Repp
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 03:10:22 PM »

Bully for you/me/him/her/them

~Dana~

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters
Col. 3:23
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: