Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Handcart Pioneer 1856  (Read 4340 times)
Paula
Scribblor Infinitus

« on: June 29, 2015, 07:35:02 AM »

I'm in the middle of a huge project of clothing 2 women (who are partially ready from earlier adventures) and 2 sixteen year old girls for a 5 day handcart trek the first week of August.  Yes that does mean 5 sets of underpinnings, 1 corset/stays, 1 corded petticoat, 1 tucked petticoat, 1 apron, 1 bonnet, 1 neckerchief and 2 dresses each.  I've been working on things since Jan and have the undies all done.  Finished the first dress yesterday so I thought I'd post a few pics.

Trish B
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 08:15:01 AM »

Absolutely lovely!! Thank you for posting.     trish B.
EKorsmo
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 11:21:59 AM »

That is quite the undertaking.  Well done, Paula!

Dana Repp
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 11:58:47 AM »

Nice work, Paula.  Where are they doing this trek?  It sounds like a fun way to live history.

~Dana~

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters
Col. 3:23
Malinda Byrne
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 12:02:33 PM »

I love how the gathers accentuate the blue in the plaid at the waist.  She looks wonderful! 
Malinda

Malinda Byrne
Paula
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 08:01:07 PM »

Dana we are actually going to load about 180 teens and 49 adults on to busses and drive them just south of Casper WY to Martin's Cove.  It should be quite the adventure all the way around.

Malinda, we debated pleating out the blue or the brown for an hour or two before making a decision.  I'm pleased with how it turned out.

Thanks to everyone.  Hoping to have the next dress done in the next day or two.
Muriel Carbiener
Dedicated Scribbler

"Hannah Perkins" at The High Desert Museum.

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 06:12:13 AM »

Paula you are amazing not only for your sewing skills but for spending all that time with so many teenagers.   Smiley Wyoming in August will be very hot with a lot of wind, but it is the Oregon, California and Mormon Emigrant Trail, and they will never forget this experience that their ancestors experienced.  Walking and pulling handcarts from Devil's Gate past Independence Rock and over Rocky Ridge will be quite an accomplishment. And the two young women that you are dressing will have even a more special experience by wearing the correct historical clothing.
Michaela Richmond
Developing Scribbler

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 07:53:51 AM »

Fantastic! What an undertaking, but it looks like you're doing a phenomenal job! I love how, even though they're not high fashion, simple, well put together working clothes can still look beautiful in their own neat and tidy way.   

Your humble servant,
Miss Michaela Richmond
Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/farmingdaughter/
Blog: http://thefarmingdaughter.com/
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 01:44:17 PM »

It's true: the application of good fit, good foundations, and period geometry makes ALL the difference!!

Miss E looks lovely, Paula!

Regards,
Elizabeth
Sue Leurgans
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 03:26:36 PM »

fabulous! 

Where were all these cool opportunities when I was growing up!  What a great way to be able to truly experience history.

Would love a pic of the dresses at the end of the trek.  dirt, fading, and all. 

Sue Leurgans
AKA Miss Lawrence
"The secret of happiness is something to do" - John Burroughs
Paula
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2015, 07:56:36 PM »

And here is dress number two.  This one leans slightly more toward 60's with a waist band (less common for adult women and older teens during the 50's)and gathered bodice. However we needed one she could use for playing 60's too. She'll normally were the neckerchief or a collar with this one too.

One with the sleeves rolled up because"Mom they look good.
EKorsmo
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 11:07:47 AM »

You're just flying on this project.  And they look so nice, too!

MaryDee
Frequent Scribbler

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2015, 02:48:14 PM »

Everything looks wonderful!  That is quite a project!  This will be  a great experience for those youngsters.

Just don't get caught in a blizzard like at least one handcart group did (I saw the memorial plaques while following the Oregon Trail along the Sweetwater River some years ago.  Of course Wyoming has three seasons, July, August and winter, so in August you should be relatively safe.  I've seen snow there every month of the year, though, and not just in the mountains!  (I grew up there and, if it weren't for the winters, would have gone back there to retire.)

Actually, heat-related issues, lightning and blisters will probably be the main hazards. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: