Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Making Infant Loaner Gear  (Read 6969 times)
EKorsmo
Dedicated Scribbler

« on: June 19, 2015, 11:52:57 AM »

I have a copy of Liz's Infant Linens pattern, up to 3 babies of unknown size who may be attending events this summer/autumn, and a loaner wardrobe which appears to have 1 shirt and 1 cap in it (and some 20th century long dresses that don't quite look right).  What should I make?  Gowns will be next, so suggestions there are also appreciated.

Working on the assumption that each family will have it's own diapering arrangement, I'm de-prioritizing diapers/soakers.  Am tempted to start with 2 shirts in each size, 2 caps in each size, and 1 combination petticoat-stays in each size.  Should I also make up drawers?  Do flannels/underbodies instead of stays? Do the stays separate so that drawers/pettis can button to them?  I've never dressed infants before, and there seems to be a lot of different ways of doing it.

(If it helps, the background is Pacific NW, weather is usually moderate, and events are usually 1-2 days at a time, with the ability to launder clothing each day.  Impressions are middle and working classes, with a strong Native American influence.  Clothing is usually borrowed by the season/until the kid outgrows it, so items which can be re-sized are just as useful as ones which fit multiple sizes.) 

Stephanie Brennan
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 02:56:19 AM »

For an infant wearing long gowns-It looks like you have it covered with shirts, stays petti combo , and caps. The petticoat/ stays can be either wool or cotton.

The drawers and button on combos are for when dresses become short so no worries there.
Maggie Koenig
Research
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 07:18:22 AM »

Yes.  Make drawers for those kiddos who's parents keep them in modern diapers for the event.

Maggie Koenig
Gettysburg, PA

"If you can't make it good, you can at least make it shiny!"
EKorsmo
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 09:04:25 AM »

Thanks ladies.  I'll proceed as planned for the moment, and wait on the drawers/pettis.

Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 08:02:14 PM »

Late to the party, but I agree with that timing plan on the loaner stuff. Cheesy Welcome to the addiction. Sewing for bitties is fun!

Regards,
Elizabeth
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: