Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Linen trousers button stays  (Read 1926 times)
Doug Frank
Developing Scribbler

« on: May 31, 2015, 04:54:00 PM »

Hello everyone, it has been a while since I have posted, but here is what I was slowly working on.

Now, a question.  For these linen trousers, should I add in a extra layer or a doubled layer of linen in the waistband as a button stay, as just one layer of linen and lining do not seem very durable to me on their own.  I would hate for the buttons to tear out at some point down the road.  Thanks!

Doug Frank
Jim_Ruley
Senior Research
Scribblor Infinitus

Tailor at work

« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 07:12:08 AM »

I usually interface trouser waistbands with a layer of canvas.  Cotton drill works fine, but you could also use linen.

Since you have already assembled the trousers, a linen button stay on the inside of the waistband would be simpler to add.
Doug Frank
Developing Scribbler

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 01:33:05 PM »

Mr. Ruley,

Thank you for the reply.  The neat freak in me wants to just take out half of the stitching on the waistband lining, insert some linen or canvas (do you use tailor's canvas for this, or just a stiffer linen?), but if I were to just add the stays on the inside, do they in your experience just take the form of additional circles of fabric sewn onto the inside lining?  Thanks!

Doug
Jim_Ruley
Senior Research
Scribblor Infinitus

Tailor at work

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 06:38:22 PM »

Hi Doug,

I usually use cotton drill since it is fairly stiff.  I have not seen an original pair of trousers with separate button stays, but if you go that route I would use circles (or squares) with the edges turned under for best appearance.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: