Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Buttons for button suits  (Read 2975 times)
Malinda Byrne
Veteran Scribbler

« on: May 27, 2015, 11:38:38 AM »

I am  probably over thinking this.  For the long sleeve bodice I made for my son earlier this spring, I scoured Ebay and Etsy to put together a matched set of inkwell buttons so that the buttons closing the front of the bodice and the buttons on the waistband that attach the bodice to the pants all matched.  I'm currently working on a short sleeve version.  I don't want to search around and purchase more buttons just to get a matched set again.   Would it be unheard of/ a typical to have the bodice close with one type of button and then have a different set of buttons used to attach it to the pants? 
Malinda

Malinda Byrne
Malinda Byrne
Veteran Scribbler

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 03:59:44 PM »

I think I may have just found an answer to my own question.  Smiley  In the Wisconsin Historical Society collection, there is a shirt from 1866 that has etched shell buttons to close the shirt and 6 bone buttons on the waistband.   And there is another one with mother of pearl buttons for closure and white milk glass ones on the waistband.  I guess I can use the cut shell ones that I have for closure and pick either white glass or bone for the waist. 
Malinda

Malinda Byrne
Dana Repp
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 10:43:44 PM »

I have seen a number of extant garments with coordinating buttons but upon close inspection they didn't match all. It seems all they did was get the same color and size but at a glance you wouldn't really notice. As long as they read the same from a little distance I think you'll be fine. 

~Dana~

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters
Col. 3:23
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: