Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Laundress Impression...  (Read 5088 times)
Michaela C
Frequent Scribbler

« on: May 18, 2015, 11:44:03 AM »

This is the first time we've ever actually considered putting an impression together, and we didn't exactly choose laundress, but the lady who has put together this huge laundry station had surgery on her throat, and can't speak to large crowds of people anymore.

I've read quite a few of the past conversations already, and there is a lot of good information.

In terms of questions....we've been taught a lot by this lady, but I'm wanting to do a little more research on the life of a laundress, because most of what we've learned has involved the actual process of the laundry, but not a lot on laundresses. I don't know where to start. Where are some good, specific places to learn more?

Another question: did laundresses ever actually follow the troops around? What if they had children? Would they come along, stay behind, or was a laundress even a possible job with children?

My soul is fed with needle and thread!
Elizabeth
Administrator
Scribblor Infinitus

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 04:28:03 PM »

Normally, I'd be kind of squashy, as military laundresses are not within a citizen focus, really--their life will be different from those of a regular citizen laundress. But, let's leave it open, shall we? Because that's a good things to clarify:

What was the normal daily life of a laundress--as hiring out laundry was one of the first things even working class households did! Who did the laundry, and how did they make it all work?

And second, what, if any, differences were there for a local laundress contracting with the military, versus laundress contracting and moving with the military.

Regards,
Elizabeth
mmescher
Dedicated Scribbler

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 09:00:31 PM »

For information on a military laundress, check the article on our website  http://www.raggedsoldier.com/final_laundry_vv.pdf 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: